Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Save $$ on NZ Bike_Shipping 2005/06

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by FormerUser1, Nov 4, 2004.

1. The background:

6 of us are set for a 5-week NZ-tour in Feb/March '05, shipping our bikes from Melb-to Christchurch return with Dave Milligans "Get Routed" http://www.getrouted.com.au/.
    All 6 of us paid the required $600 deposit each on the bookings, being full-well aware of the fact that these amounts were non-refundable.
    A short while later one of the group (Nigel in Ballarat) found out that it's just impossible for him to go for such a stretch of time and Dave (Get Routed) was contacted.
    He offered to credit the payment towards a later shipment, up to and including the 2006 shipments.
    Since Nigel had also committed to the group, he made the decision to at least come along for the first 2 weeks of the trip, in which case a rental-bike was the slightly cheaper option (despite a potential loss of the $600 deposit already paid), taking into consideration ALL costs involved.

As it stands:

As those trips don't come cheap, there's hardly a chance for Nigel to use the ticket (well...deposit on a bike-shipping ticket) he's got, even in a years time.
    So, if you're interested in some savings for the bike-transport, contact Nigel moisyau@yahoo.com ...for the logistical side contact me glitch_oz@yahoo.com

Happy to forward all relevant emails from Dave Milligan showing the required details of the
    "owner-swap" of the ticket, also the 2005/06 shipping details/dates etc.

If you want to join the Feb/ March 2005 tour, let me know ASAP.
    Final payment (if shipping Feb/ March 05) is then also due shortly.

cheers
    pete

2. All I can say is just do it. I spent a month over there in September & was lucky to be able to borrow a bike -my brothers XR650R with motard wheels & pilot sports. Best fun you can have with your clothes on. I have done most of the north island (having lived there for 20 odd years) & recommend the Corromandel Penninsula, Also the east coast from Whakatane down to Napier/Hastings & back throup the Napier/Taupo road. If you are doing your own tour let me know & I will give you more details on the good roads.

3. Yep, doing our own. Compared the contents of Peter Mitchell's book "50 Best NZ Rides-Great Escapes" with what we've seen during a few previous (Camper-) trips and since things pretty much match, have taken the rest of the rides aboard (well, many of them). Main target is the South Island, since the bikes are shipped to/from Chch.
    About 10 days tagged for the North, won't make the Coromandel, but East Cape/Whakatane (Gisborne-Opotiki/ Wairoa-Gisborne BackRoad stretches as well) before it's off to the West/Rotorua/Waitomo Caves/allaround Mt. Tongariro/various roads north of Wanganui.
    Leaving Mt Taranaki and the rest of the north for another trip :))