Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Satellite re-entry / Crash

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by gtrgilera, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Should we worry?

Any 'space buffs' know any more info on the satellite that's due to crash land somewhere on earth
    "It contains 1,000 pounds of hydrazine fuel, which “could turn into a toxic gas capable of causing deaths and injuries if it crashed in a populated area.â€
    It's due to happen in the 1st week of March, from what I've found it does look like it will hit Nth America; US Gov are attempting to shoot it apart, ships in the Pacific are now wondering about the weather delaying the shoot...

All sounds a bit 'end of the world' doesn't it... but it does look like happening soon...

one source :shock: :shock:

2. I can see them all buying sixpacks and Stingers and having parties in the back yard.. :eek:hno:

3. It's a conspiracy...its all a cover for them having it "crash" into a US military target...whoops, sorry guys, we didn't mean it! Just ask pro-pilot :D
  4. yea!!! It's a Clinton punishment to Connecticut for voting Obama in the last weeks primary.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  5. Seems we're safe for now...

"February 21, 2008 02:51pm
    Article from: Reuters

A MISSILE fired from a US Navy warship has hit a defunct spy satellite in space to try to prevent its toxic fuel tank from crashing to Earth, the Pentagon says.
    The SM-3 missile was fired from the USS Lake Erie in the Pacific at about 10.26 EST (2.26pm AEDT) and hit the bus-sized satellite about 133 nautical miles (247km) above the ocean, the Pentagon said..."

I think they found out it would most likely land in the USA and decided to do something... :LOL:

Happy riding :grin:
  6. I reckon it was just an excuse to test out some new satellite destroying missile technology that they've been itching to use.

They should have used the fricken laser beams.
  7. http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/us-missile-hits-spy-satellite/2008/02/21/1203467281038.html

8. OMG, it is coming!! Just go this from a friend at media monitors

9. Why wouldn't it simply burn up in the atmosphere, like other space junk does?

I think the US just wanted to say to China/Russia et al. "Hey, lookee what we can do, jerk-offs". :butt:
  10. China/Russia have already done this!! They have too many sh1ty satellites up there that fail and fall all the time, so that is standard practice for them..

But this one, was too big to burn up in the atmosphere.. The space shuttles come in the atmosphere too quick and too steep, so when there is just one hole in their tiles, the whole thing burns up. Yet, pieces could survive..

Those sats are going around and around. Then some day, something goes wrong and they start making smaller circles around the earth. There entry in to the atmosphere is so smooth, that the whole thing can survive the entry, well.. at least the fuel tank..
  11. Apparently not everything burns up, but most are designed to land in the oceans so we don't often get told about the increased junk in the seas :?

The fuel tank, which contained the 'highly toxic' whatever could withstand re-entry, the tanks on the tragic shuttle explosion also survived!

Funny to think all that stuff is only a few hundred (or less) kms above us... :shock:
  12. Hmmm, I guess I gotta work on that "tongue in cheek" icon. :grin:

(I was actually in Kalgoorlie when Skylab came down ... )
  14. Sattelites have fallen from orbit numerous times and that seems to be no problems ... :?

I think the US is just trying to show China that they can shoot satellites too.
  15. :rofl: