Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sat phone rental?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Askal, Mar 5, 2006.

1. What is the best place to rent a sat. phone in Au.? Is iridium the best choice? I will also have a cell with me for any calls in the coverage area. Found a company in the US where I can rent one for 140.00 to 200.00 a month plus 1.75 a minute. I am riding solo and would like to take some fairly remote roads but safety is a factor. I will be there for 6 weeks. What is the lightest one available? Down to 3 weeks before I land. Getting pretty excited.
    Thanks Al

2. Al how far off the beaten track (major highways) are you intending to go??

We actually have pretty good "cell" phone coverage on most of the major highways between the capital cities.

It could be cheaper to just buy a prepaid phone as soon as you land here than bring or hire a sat phone for the trip.

Check with the company your existing cell phone is with as it may have an agreement with one of the Australian companies which means your cell phone could work down here (we have either CDMA or GSM available at present). Beware of the cost of calls due to being away from the USA you end up paying for the call to leave Australia even if you're calling someone 2 miles up the road, it may be cheaper to use a prepaid one from here as mentioned above.

Telstra is the larger phone company here and has both a CDMA & GSM network. You can look at their coverage maps Here to decide if you need to go to the expense of a Sat Phone or just use the land based networks.

Sorry but I cant help on the renting of Sat Phones.
  3. @see post below