Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sans Martin Drive

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by conspiracytheorist, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Hey I've been going into kuringai national park a bit lately, just off mccarrs creek. Anyone know has been through it will know that down the bottom its really really really bumpy. It is sealed, just very bumpy. I weight the pegs to help the suspension but every time I go along here I wonder if I'm damaging the bike? Its probably just under 10 minutes of going over this bumpy zone.

I would just avoid the road but the section just after it/bit of it in the bumpy area has really nice twisties. And despite the fact its supposed to be $11 entry fee (even for motorcyclists!!, even going through!!), I just sweet talk my way in/go when its closed.

And whilst I'm asking stuff..

I was taking one of the corners with abit of zest today and I felt something scrape. I couldn't figure out what it was though. Normally on the zzr the centrestand scrapes first but I'm not totally sure it was that, didn't sound metalic. The exact same thing has happened before on the exact same corner. Any ideas?
  2. You shouldn't be damaging anything by riding over a bumpy road; the suspension is built to handle most things. If you have some adjustability in the suspension (rear-spring-pre-load, for example) you may like to play with that before you ride the stretch, it may improve things for you.

With reference to the scraping, I can only assume (and I'm probably wrong) that with the bumpy road the leading edge of your fairing may be touching down momentarily???
  3. Glad to hear I'm not damaging anything. On the corner both times I scraped something, it scraped, then bit bump and scraped again after the bounce. Both times I inspected the fairing/centrestand to see what it was but I'll have a more general look. Thanks Hornet.
  4. Try Cottage Point road instead. It's alot more smoother and the bends are unpredictable. I am still not confident with that section. Maybe the more experience riders will tell you how easy it is but I find it hard.

As for Sans Martin Drive. I avoid the section between West Head Road and Akuna Bay wharf. That is the bumpiest section. From Terrey Hills turn off (at the first Toll Booth) down to 2nd toll booth is the best section. Not too bumpy plus some good twisties.

I hope that I can get some time soon to ride on that road again. I haven't been on it for a while.
  5. Yeh I tried cottage point one, but can't see around corners, I don't like the camber, and cars seem to think that no lines = ride in the middle of the road. I don't enjoy a corner if I'm concerned about the cars which seem to always be in my path on that road.

The first to 2nd toll booth is ok, I like the right handers as mine suck at the moment. The 2nd toll booth back up to the middle of mccarrs is really bumpy for a while but the corners after that make it totally worth it :twisted: :LOL: I just need to do some push bike riding to get my sea-legs back hehe.