Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Same tyres

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Garry, Aug 30, 2011.

1. I recently bought a used FJR1300 with different brands of tyre on the front and rear. Both are near new - front is a Metzeler and rear is a Michelin. I have read somewhere that this is not a good idea and that both tyres should be the same brand and model so that you have the same tread pattern front and rear. I would appreciate people's comments. Should I be replacing one of the tyres so that I have only one brand on the bike? Is this a safety concern? Thanks.

2. Thanks for pointing me to that discussion. Seems like it should be okay provided I am not pushing it, like on a track. That might be fine in the dry, but things might get a bit dicey even if I am not "pushing it", but the road is wet and slippery. Any thoughts?
  3. Fom those links provided, you can see that different people have different views, being for mixed / matched tyres.

Me personally, I have matched on both road bikes, Pilot Road 2's....
  4. i dont find it an issue and still push hard with different branded front and rear tyres.
  5. I have mixed tyres on both bikes and never had an issue.
    Those that know me will know that I ride like a grandad though.
  6. Thanks for all the comments. I feel more reassured that it is okay as I ride a bit like a grandad too. The rear Pilot will wear out first so I will replace it when its gone with a Metzeler to match the front.
  7. The fact that you are asking this question, and don't appreciate that front and rear tread patterns are different anyway, implies that you don't ride hard enough for there to be any risk of you overcooking the (already high) grip limits of your tyres. Don't always believe what you read - including these comments for that matter.

Best regards, Garry.
  8. Ideally, the tyres should be replaced as a matched set, but if you don't ask very much of them then usually it doesn't matter all that much.

Some mixes and matches work better than others. Some people are more sensitive to small changes in feel and response than others. Some people are easier to add a lot of confidence to, or take a lot of confidence away from than others. Don't mix a radial front with a crossply rear. (You probably shouldn't do it the other way around either, but I can't see it being anywhere near as much of an issue.)

The amount of wear (tread depth) left is one thing. The age of the tyre - time since fitted, time since manufacture - can also be an issue. If the older tyre is also the more worn tyre, then I'd change that ASAP to match the newer one. If the newer one is the more worn one ... use with caution and replace both when you can.

I can personally recommend Bridgestone BT023s on the FJR. They work real well.
  9. Personally I have no worries about using mixed tyres, I don't take it particularly easy either.

Indeed, best to make up your own mind.
  10. Low air pressure will have more of an effect on handling than different brands of suitable tyres..
  11. Have these on my TDM and really can't fault them after 12,000k and probably have another 1k left on rear..
    Will get same again...