Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Salient warning from Tasmania

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Oldmaid, Jan 22, 2015.

1. #1 Oldmaid, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. I don't want to sound callous about it, but I will.

Here's a prime example of a rider causing their own demise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Anything added to you is going to increase drag, be a hazard etc.. Whilst I understand the attraction in doing toy runs etc I think extra care should be taken with larger object or things hanging off the bike..

Hard way to learn a lesson..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sad incident, doubly so because the rider was dong something to help the community.

It is interesting that the coroner recommended underrun protection for barriers on high risk areas. The argument on roadside barriers has long been that underrun protection is poor. European standards now require underrun protection, the authorities here have steadfastly refused to implement such extra protection into design guidelines. I hope the coroner is listened to and roadside barriers are designed with all road users in mind not just car drivers. This rider may have survived given a little thought on motorcyclists as road users.

See:
    MOTORCYCLE IMPACTS TO ROADSIDE BARRIERS – REAL-WORLD ACCIDENT STUDIES, CRASH TESTS AND SIMULATIONS CARRIED OUT IN GERMANY AND AUSTRALIA
    REPORT ON REVISION OF STATE OF THE ART ON ROAD RESTRAINT SYSTEMS

• Like Like x 3
  5. at least they didn't blame speed

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Extend compulsory rider training? Perfect chance to jack up the price by another $150 for no reason? ...Screams the callous voice within me...
    And of course there's the obligatory same shit different day from a pollie and an activist, delightful.
    For the record I am sad about what happened

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yes I didn't quite get that? The section in rider training on the carrying over oversize bears? That would be right after the section on the necessity for not pillioning penguins.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I think it's the
    if lots of learners are crashing, maybe they haven't learned enough yet? :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. In recent years there has been a programme to fit underrun barriers on corners deemed "black spots" i.e. scene of previous serious accidents however Tassie has thousands of kilometres of twisty roads and little funding. Our main concern is fighting the use of "cheese cutter" multi wire barriers as there is very little hope of surviving a slide through them.
    The deceased rider in this case was on a near straight section of road but the road was on top of a 15 metre embankment formed to let the train track go under. This spot is notorious for wind shear and the gusts were estimated at 80k and coming directly side on so at 15m above the paddocks and in a 110k zone any rider would be at risk with or without a stuffed pillion passenger. A sad end for her and her family.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. I remember that particualr accident, the winds that day were exceptional high, and being a part-time rider she would not have been used to those weather conditions, a very sad set of circumstances.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Very sad, we decided not to go on the toy run that year as the winds were exceptionally gusty, and I was a learner rider. My little 250 does get pushed around by the wind easily.

12. But the converse is that 72% of all other accidents are occur amongst 'experienced' riders...

13. Maybe all newbie riders should join NR and read stuff like this. Having now read it, my skinny ar$e little CB125 and I will not be going out in high winds until I learn how to ride in adverse whether conditions. And even then I probably wouldn't until I got a heavier bike and clocked up some experience.

14. Even heavy bikes get "hairy" when the wind gets over 80k and is side on. It is a particular hazard in country riding where trees interrupt the cross winds irregularly. You can be leaning sideways hard to go straight then a patch of trees breaks the wind and if you are not prepared you turn very quickly in the direction you were leaning. Dropping your speed gives you more reaction time before you go gutter surfing. Tassie roads are rarely straight so side winds are always going to be an issue to be aware of. You can have a strong manageable headwind then along comes a corner and its side on and dangerous. But when its not windy YEE HAA.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. How will you learn to ride in high winds if you never go out in high winds?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. I'll learn to ride in high winds when I'm ready. With less than 5 hours on my bike, I'm not ready. I may never be ready and that's ok too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Fair enough, you should learn at your pace. However as with wet weather riding, riding in windy conditions needs to be learned. You may decide you won't go out in rain or wind but those conditions will come to you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Not sure where you hale from but if you are in Sydney watch out along Anzac Parade or down near the airport because when a nor-easter or a vicious easterly pipes in you will really get flicked around unexpectedly! No choice when it will decide to hit you and good to be prepared mentally for it at least...:)
    I actually posted a thread about riding in this howling wind because it scared the crap out of me!
    And as noted above the sudden drops in the wind are probably more dangerous than the big blow...:whistle:

19. By reading this thread I'm already better prepared for when these conditions come to me. It doesn't mean I have to knowingly go out and test the gods of fate on my teensy bike.

Old maid, I live on a plateau below the beautiful Macedon ranges in Victoria that experiences screaming northerlies, screaming southerlies, and a wicked westerly. We also get black ice and pea soup fog. Oodles of fun awaits when winter cometh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. GoldenberriGoldenberri, good call, learn at your own pace. I recall riding near Yarra Glen on my GS500F on a windy day and the bike was literally "dancing" around the lane. The thing was 200kg and I added another 75, and the wind just picked me up a number of times and deposited me on the far side of the lane. Positioning in the lane was really important. Once you realise you can deal with it, it becomes easier. Obviously can be dangerous too.

• Agree Agree x 1