Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Salesmen.... WTF are they doing!!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by crazynate, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Ok so to paint a picture here.

I have completed the much talked about qride in april, I have my open licence and now have the funds to get a bike. (1st bike)

I walked into a Suzuki dealer in Brisbane and was having a look at the used bikes out the front. A salesman came out and we chatted about what riding I will be doing and what sort of bike i wanted.

I told him I would be commuting mainly (Freeway) and a bit of weekend fun. I was looking for a SV650 or 600 Hornet, the next thing he tells me my budget is way too low... 8k including gear. I'm already thinking this guy is a knob and then he proceeds to show me a new SV650 $9500... over budget, a CB900 Hornet (nice but fark... a first bike?) and then a Gixxer 750.

Is this guy just looking to offload anything he can or is he a spastic who is upping the fatality rate of Qld riders by telling them a Gix 750 or 900 hornet is an acceptable 1st bike.

I may have my open licence but i am essentially a learner albeit with the luxury of more choice of bikes to learn on.

What do you guys think?
  2. If you're restrained, you can learn on a bigger bike. I know many who've done it successfully - including myself but that is not the default way to go about it. The salesman should be promoting as a default rule starting on a smaller bike. You might be an exception due to your maturity and all - just depends on whether you want to take it on or not.

The salesperson was a knob trying to offload stock. Do a bit of research and find a bike that you're keen on. If you leave it to sales people, they'll always try to stretch your budget and sell you what they want to get rid of rather than what you need. Once you've figured out what bike you want, go with a private sale after an inspection!
  3. I reckon either the hornet600 or the sv650 would both be great bikes for someone in your situation. The sv650 is a pretty popular bike in the states for new riders. Hart use the hornets for their intermediate and advanced courses and coming off my grumpy twin, i was amazed how user friendly they were. 6 grand would easily buy you a good example of either of these 2 bikes leaving you 2 grand for gear. I'd be inclined to buy privately in your situation, my 2 cents anyway. Good luck!!!
  4. Don't get me wrong I have done my research and I really do think I will end up with a SV650 I am also keeping my options open. The 900 Hornet with twin Remus titanium cans sounded great and was very tidy and fitted my budget..... but seriously I just don't think its a very good idea.

I am mature and sensible but also inexperienced. Maybe as an upgrade in a year or two.

The Gixxer and new SV were well over my price range. Not really sure why he showed me the the Gixxer actually.

5. When i bought my first road bike the salesman tryed to talk me into buying a hayabusa and when i told i was after a gs500 he laughed at me.

In hine site i probably should have taken his advice because i would have saved a few bob from trading up. As i'm ready to trade yet again a bike with more stoke.
  6. Car salesman, bike salesman. Both the same, somewhere just above pond scum on the feeding chain.

Do your research and go in armed with the info.

Know your budget, how much for gear, how much for a bike, insurance costs, rego etc. How you will use the bike, your level of experience, how long you will keep the bike, the makes/models you like, servicing costs, parts cost etc etc.

The salesman should only be necessary for you to do the paperwork. Don't let them sell you what they want to sell you. Buy what you want to buy, only when you are fully informed.
  7. Salesman are just part of the business. ie: the the pay model (comission, salary, etc) will determine whether you get the hard sell or genuine compassionate advice.

I'd say its a good idea to be informed before you step into a shop.

Get a feel for prices online, look at loads of pictures and bikes in person if possible so you know whats around for what money. No joke, once you've done this a bit you'll know more about the bikes than the salesman.

When i was looking for my first bike, i went to loads of shops and sat on everything, compared all their specs over and over again, and asked every bloke/chick in every shop about the other shops bikes to see what dirt they had. It's quite revealing to hear someone spin shit about their rivals. I figured that someone who wasnt honest with their slander wasnt going to be honest with their sale advice. :LOL:

if you're doing a lot of FWY riding think about getting something faired or get a good screen if you get a naked.

if you're a bit nervous about the power of a 750 or 900 theres nothing wrong with getting something a bit more modest. TBH, I'm finding the 400 to have plenty of power for commuting and potentially more than enough for my licence.
  8. I got my licence on a 600 hornetS and really enjoyed it, not really punchy but enough to get you in trouble.

The SV is more readily turned over.... hornet owners keep theirs like old luggage.
  9. Yeah but..

you would be equally as pissed or cheesed off if he said "We cant help you, all out bikes are too expensive for you"

I always like to go in and test the limits. Find the salesman with all the harley gear on and talk about how bad the engineering job on them is and that all they are good for is pumping the water from the creek to the dam and see his face go red as he tries to be nice and make a sale.

:LOL: Only done it once at PS but was good fun having a harley rider agree with me just to try sell me something else.
  10. tell him where to go or take your business everywhere...

same thing happened to me. i made an appointment to test ride a bike at a showroom in parramatta ( this store's name does not begin with bike..., yes, the other store )....anyway i turn up at agreed time. he wheels down a different bike, costing $4K more and says, "this is the one you really want"....no, i don't think so. he doesn't even have the balls to tell me the one i wanted to ride wouldn't start! lol. ( i found this out later myself )

never going back there if thats the crap he wants to pull. some salesman are wankers...
  11. we are not all cast from the same stone :roll: ..
    there are actually a few of us who are passionate about what we sell.. and never do the "hard sell" car yard type tricks..

you have obviously been hard done by or are just shopping in the wrong places.. In the shop I work, the atmosphere is very relaxed and friendly.. a happy family so to speak with many many referrals coming from past customers.. just last week an older couple I sold a scooter too brought me in a signed Wayne Gardner poster they had from when they worked at Phillip Island.. just to say thanks for the service..

We try really hard to dispel many of the "used car salesman" stigma's .. shops that don't tend to get a bad name really quick.. stay away I say..
  12. A main dealer is unlikely to have anything much in the way of a 650cc+ roadster for around $7k, which is your likely budget minus the gear. There's just not room on the forecourt for stuff that's older and cheaper that could come back to bite him if it turns out to be a dog. He mightn't have to warrant it, but he can do without a digruntled customer bad-mouthing him all over town. So he keeps new or near-new stock and leaves the cheap bikes to the guys at the top of Moss Street.

What else can he show you but what he does have? Plenty of people fish for a deal by saying they have only $X to spend, then happily spend more.

A Hornet 900 is fine for a new open licence. Plenty of torque, smooth with good brakes and handling. They are not hard to ride gently. Sure, you can ride one like an idiot, but the bike won't be the problem. And most people who tell themselves they have to buy something docile finish up taking a loss on it when they sell it nine months to a year later to get something that works better.

Some of the belligerent comments here remind me why most sales staff eventually start to seriously dislike customers. Even when you try to be helpful and let the customer work their way through it at their own pace you still get a ton of attitude.

Getting service and a good deal cuts both ways. As my boss says, not with any satisfaction, "customers lie".

13. :LOL: :LOL: ....that should tell you something!
  14. It realy sounds like he had nothing to offer you... ie a second hand SV650

As for a HD being a water pump... LOL every HD sales person will agree with that! but it is exactly THAT what sells... HD has on purpuse built these bike that way, otherwise they would have to compete with Jap bikes LOL!

If you have not readen Harleys there is no need to speek bad about them, and if you have, than have decency to at least say it was not your cup of tea! Coz Harleys are coffee!
  15. The Hornets are the best value new motorcycle you can buy.

Buy the one you like the most.
  16. Ensuring of course that you keep a little restraint...

I completely agree.

You need to be happy with your purchase, they're not cheap.
    As long as you stick to within your budget and your size limit - go for the bike that keeps you enthusiastic about riding.

Go for the bike that you want to go for another ride on as soon as you've dismounted.

(Says the bloke with a 125! - but since it was given to me... it is a little different to going out and buying one.).

Bike ARE such a personal purchase.

Good luck and make you sure keep us up to date with what you end up with!
  17. there really aren't that many used bikes at the "suzuki store" you are talking about.

If it's the one you are referring to...
  18. There is a kind of perverse logic that says to buy your 'second bike' choice as your first bike.

If the manufacturer spent more money on it in the first place, it usually handles, brakes, and feels better. They spend money on volume models, not budget models.
    It is up to you to show restraint in use of the throttle. But you still get the better brakes and handling thrown in.
    If there are more of them around, and people keep them longer, there is usually a bigger 'parts list' of accessories and bits that are available.

There are planty of low mileage bikes for sale where the owner rues the decision to buy 'sensible' for 12 months.
    Again, if you are mature enough to be sensible in the use of the throttle - you are quite capable of having a bigger, more powerful bike as a first bike. But are you? Only you can answer that question.
  19. I remember reading an article once that said if we all bought "sensible" bikes,
    we'd all be riding CX500 Hondas... :LOL: :p
  20. If one wants 'sensible', buy a Toyota Corolla.

Motorcycles are about fun.
    They are about thrill.
    They are about glory.

Scooters are about poverty and CBD parking.