Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Safety reminder for n00bies (and others too)

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by emilmh, May 11, 2006.

1. Hey,
    Just thought I'd share a recent experiance and also to remind others of a simple safety check.

To cut a long story short:
    the otherday i got ready to leave for uni on the bike, and unlike all other times, this time i started the bike then closed the garage door after me. (usually i wheel it out, close the door then start the bike) Upon doing this i realised the brake light (not the tail light) was engaged. At first i wasnt sure about it so i called my mum out to check while i worked the headlights, brakes and also the indicators for that matter. Turns out my brake light was engaged at ALL times the bike was on... I dont know how long this has been going on for!??!
    This could have easily turned disasterous as people wouldnt of known when im braking as it was always on!
    I checked it out, and it turned out to be a simple plug that had come undone, once i poped it back in, and taped it together, all was well. :)

So just a reminder to periodically check your lights! I every now and again check my indicators (cos i can do it when on the bike) but never thought to check the brake light or tail light. i know realise i can reach my hand over the back and see the refelction on it if it works, so its only a few seconds extra but could save you from getting rear ended!

Stay safe people!
  2. usually i do a weekly check when i wash the bike....
    yes i wash it on a weekely thing
    check chain tension, brake lights and head lights and turning indicators...
    and mufflers bolts...... :LOL: :LOL:
  3. Personally I check the lights etc every time I first start the bike for the day. It takes very little for a globe to blow. All done while the bike warms up and I get my gear on. Old habits die hard. :)
  4. I had a similar problem ages ago, my rear-brake switch was continuously getting stuck on, not the brakes, just the switch...
  5. I tend to check it sitting at traffic lights, just watch the reflections off the vehicle behind.

If only we could get car drivers to be as attentive. I swear the number of cars getting around now with non-functioning brake lights is increasing. I have occasional bursts of niceness by telling some people, but I told one bloke in traffic a while ago, he looked at me, blew smoke in my face and just said "yeah???" :evil:

I didn't bother for the next few months, I'd just wish large truck through back windscreen karma on them. Luckily the next person I told was far more appreciative.