Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Safest Gear?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by ltflippy, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Hi All
    I have been riding for 3 years now virtually everyday. I am looking at upgrading my saftey gear as some if it is getting worn out. I have already done my helmet. However I want some advise on jacket and pants.

So my first set of jeans were Shift jeans yet they tore in the wash and as a result i have lost confidence in them. So I am choosing between Hornee jeans or maybe a textile set? Value for money which is safer and better value?

With Jackets i like leather, I like the look of the Shift ones but given my experience with the jeans i am a little apprehensive, are they any good or is alpine star or dainese better? Overall i am looking for saftey then fashion then cost...
  2. Have a look at The Good Gear Guide

It's probably the best guide on the sort of gear you need to look for and how to tell good from bad.

It was funded by the Commonwealth Dept of Infrastructure under the auspices of the Motorcycle Safety Consultative Committee, and written By Liz de Rome with support from the Australian Motorcycle Council.

It gives generic advice on what to look for rather than specific brands.
  3. You should send a PM to Takamii about jeans. Everyone is raving about the quality and comfort. Apparently they are only between $100-$140. Plus you would be supporting a brother. Your choice, but it would be worth a look.

I think at the moment best to buy jacket's and helmets online. Check out Revzilla, they do video reviews on gear, which might be helpfull.
  4. Have a good look at www.motoport.com - it's seriously tough textile gear.

The Kevlar mesh stuff is great for street riding.

I've had mine for about 6 months now including one tumble down the road...very happy with it.
  5. The safest gear will be good leather from a high end brand manufacturer, alpine stars or dainese matched with good gloves and boots. Not Pakistan goat leather from EBay. Then look for companies that develop the protective features in their own gear, people like Draggin design and develop their own lining in the jeans, and people that have a strong brand generally make products to protect that brand. Fly by night no name eBay companies can afford to sell product then disappear only to pop up again as another name. Trust in the main brands.
  6. The $99/$129 Kevlar jeans at AMX are worth a look. Despite the price they do in fact have more Kevlar coverage than Draggins, appear to be just as well made, and the price includes knee armour.

Haven't had the chance to test them in a crash but mine have been through the wash several times already without any problems (though I do take the armour out before washing).

My local dealer Pakistani Goat Leathers are also holding up just fine, even after surviving a serious crash. Don't assume something twice the price is twice as good, in some cases it may just be an identical product with better marketing (even big-brands are likely to be outsourcing a lot of work to China, India, Pakistan, etc.).
  7. Safest is what fits best.

8. This is sooooooo wrong on sooooo many counts and sounds like it is coming from a self professed expert rather than someone actually who has money invested in the business of protective safety gear

I speak from the standpoint of a "ebay company"

my helmets must be made of paper mache seeing as I sell on ebay

My jeans must be lined with grease paper rather than kevlar seeing as I sell on ebay

in fact selling on ebay has enabled me to expand my business and improve my products etc

LTFLIPPY - beware who you listen to in respect to "claims they make about this or that " listen to real world examples such as JD has expressed
  9. The question that was asked was not who makes ANY motorcycle clothing, but who makes the SAFEST. Big difference!! As a small online seller of helmets do I think the Takamii helmets have superior safety than Arai that spend $$$$ on R and D? Do I think that buying a yellow fabric from a guy saying it is Kevlar counts?

If you want the safest gear buy stuff that has massive world wide sales because they have R and D, lots of testing and a lot more people complaining if the stuff is average. That is why I buy only brand name gear. AGV have millions of helmets on the market, if there was a major issue I would have heard about it... and I like Rossi...
  10. one failed in performance (2008) and one in labling (2002)

remember thats random choices of makes/models for testing as well
  11. Ahh yes. Probably safe to ignore the 2002 one then.

Still, picking one helmet out of supposedly "millions" and having it fail either means incredible odds - or a lot more faulty helmets still out there.
  12. How can kevlar jeans be considered as the safest gear? Cheap yes, looks good yes, safest NO.
    " Most riders wear a motorcycle jacket (97%) but fewer wear motorcycle pants (45%). This is despite the fact there is actually far more risk of injury to the legs than to the upper body or arms. Four out of five motorcycle casualties (81%) have injured their legs and a third have broken bones (32%). Arm injuries are less common (56%) and less likely to involve fractures (17%)."
  13. By all means continue to shop by price.

However, I'd offer a converse view. I bought a cheapo Ebay onesie for track days and, frankly, I was very impressed for the price.

The leather is excellent quality, if rather thick and stiff. Certainly a more expensive suit will be more supple from new but I doubt if the material strength would show a significant difference.

Nice big panels and minimal joints are confidence inspiring.

The stitching is at least as good as anything I've seen elsewhere and better than some I've seen on "name" brand gear. Likewise, seam construction is fine.

Armour is good. It's CE marked, although I don't know how much credence I'd put in that. Foam density and stiffness is as near identical to known good stuff as I can tell.

Not really safety related but the fit is pretty good, so the manufacturers are honest about their sizing.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. Since, given that I'm too weird a size and shape to have a hope of buying secondhand, the choice was either a cheapie or no leathers at all, I think I got a bargain for about half what an equivalent A* would have cost me.

And yes, although I haven't yet crashed in it, I have crashed in a variety of other gear and seen enough of the aftermath of other people's crashes that I consider myself qualified to make a judgement on the quality of kit without a manufacturer's logo to help me.
  14. *fixed*

the pants are good though, (but for the price HA HA **** of.)
    but i do prefer kevlar woven into the fibre like those, or aramid fibre, same difference, rather than the kevlar lined itchy scratchy daks.. except you can buy pants like that for a quarter of the price.

angelofranco's post is the win. note it. if you are really serious about protection, you need energy dispersing armour on all your pointy bits.
    spinal injury is most often caused by blow to the hip or shoulder.
    don't care how good you think your wanky kevlar lined daks are, they ain't going to prevent a knee cap from shattering.
    kevlar lining + a dozen cycles in the wash + hung out exposed to sunlight = pretty much ****ed. biggest protective clothing wank ever. they tear up with ease.
    if you don't want abrasion, then you want leather or serious cordura.
    you want pants that attach to your jacket. you don't want to your jacket to ride up or your pants to slide down.
    and btw, pretty much all the best leather comes from Pakistan, theres different grades where ever you source it. but those curries have been tanning leather for eons, father to son. won't find many taneries in 1st world countries nowadays.
    if you are planning to stack ( and you should actually, we all do sooner or later, just never know when ) then it's less likely your fancy overpriced brand named leather jacket is going to be required to protect you. so just how a leather jacket becomes the next thing on anyones list after a helmet, beats the **** out of me. far more likely you're going to scrape up or bust up your legs. protect ankles/shins/knees.
    protect your hands, armoured gloves. you want sliders on the knuckles, finger joints and base of the palms. you don't want exposed seams anywhere apart from between the fingers. you **** up your hands/wrists, you **** up your livelyhood/income.
  15. Some good points there MONKEYMAN, but personally, i wouldn't trust my life to any suit made in pakistan. The same companies that produce suits for many of the major brands there also make their own leathers (available at a very cheap price). But would you rely on a man who thinks suits (and adverts) like these are acceptable? :

:) :) :)
  16. Kevlar degrades when exposed to UV - hence why I wont use a cotton/kevlar blend
    Below is straight from the patent holder

Attached Files: