Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Safest gear (helmet, gloves, boots, pants & jacket) abou

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by samtastic, Jun 25, 2009.

1. hi all,
    been reading through the forums for the last two days or so (gosh my eyes are starting to ache at this time! time for bed) and I have a few questions.

I've seen a few of you recommend spending a fair chunk of your initial motorcycle budget on riding gear. So I think i'll heed your wise words and budget for about $1.5K on an outfit.

Are there particular manufacturers of motorcycle gear that are renowned for their safety gear?

I've read that NJC and Shark helmets are meant to be towards the top of the range, is there a similar story for gloves and boots?

While I don't care about being seen in the 'right' brands per se, i want to make sure that if I'm spending all that money on a few garments (haha im used to shopping in op-shops for my regular clothes), then they are truly going to do their best in protecting me should I need it.

in regards to pants, i'd probably prefer something like Draggins jeans (or other brands, who else is about?), just because i'll no doubt end up wearing them to uni etc. Are these as good as leather riding pants?

and regarding a jacket, is it possible to get a jacket that is comfortable and protective in summer/winter (or will I simply be better off getting a second jacket for summer?)?

hope Im not repeating stuff you've all read a million times! and thanks for all the good reads so far! : )

(im so relieved there is such an active and informative Australian motorcycling community online!)
  2. Best bet is to go somewhere like bikemart or yamaha city and talk to them. if you like the op shop approach (I do) try AMX and peter stevens clearance centre and look in cycle torque for specials. its free at bike shops.

arai and shoie are probably regarded as the best helmets followed by shark. They can be expensive and you could blow the budget on a helmet. But there are a lot of mid range helmets that are good. They all meet Australian standards. touring boots rather than race boots are probably the go. draggins are a bit of a compromise that most people live with for city riding. I have a waterproof (goretex) jacket for winter and a mesh jacket for summer. Also have leathers for more spirited riding. Good gloves are important as most of your inputs are through your hands. But you don't need race gloves.

also starider
    and have fun.
  3. Hi,

For an all year jacket I would highly recommend the Dririder Climate Control 2, it has a mesh outer layer with armour where you need it plus a zip-in waterproof & windproof layer plus a zip-in thermal layer too. I have one and does me perfectly all year.

Regarding helmets, any helmet sold here has to meet a minimum safety standard, so whatever you get will work. The price differences are more an indication of build quality and longevity. Also, I found that the only helmet to fit me was the Nolan, I tried an $800 Shark but it just didn't fit me, my chin was wedged hard against the front. The most important thing is to get a helmet that fits properly.

Have fun shopping!

4. End of financial year, now is a good time to pick up runouts of old models. I got $450 pants for $100, and and $450 jacket for $250...makes you wonder what the markup on all this bollocks is.

Dririder gear features a zip-in waterproof liner, so in summer it's just a mesh jacket.
  5. As has been suggested, good runout deals going at the moment but regardless........go shopping with safety and value in mind, you dont need to spend that amount, its up to you.

Helmets: go shopping for fit- some helmets arent going to suit your noggin, no matter how pricey they are.....find a good fitting helmet in either Shoei, HJC, or Shark and you should be right.
    Remember fits snug first, then look at the pretty colours etc.... :grin:

Gloves: You'll probably want two pair, a summer glove and a winter/waterproof.......just be sure they offer some protection to the knuckles, have preferably leather palms and.....secure properly!!
    They should by rights have a good secure clasp at the wrist so that they cannot come off if you end up bodysurfing the tarmac... :?

Boots: Get a good comfortable pair of touring type with ankle/shin protection......you dont have to go for the top of the line powerranger look to be safe.......its your personal choice.

Pants: I'd say go the Draggins, have a good reputation and will do the job commuting....there is no way you will walk around all day in leathers,..you'd cook from the inside out.. :LOL: Save for some leathers though for the weekend adventures OK.. :wink:

Jackets: A personal choice here on style and length of cut...as already stated, the 'all seasons' is good value........just check out the shops for what strikes your fancy..
    I saw MCAS had RJays Evo jackets on sale weeks ago for $249 :eek: an absolute steal at that price for a fab winter waterproof jacket of the longer variety......if you can find a deal like that you may just pick up 2 jackets for reasonable $$$
    Hope this helps
  6. Your recommending summer and winter gloves, but only one kind of pant? You could just buy plastic overpants (rainpants) or you could buy thermally lined, waterproof pants.

Problem with motorbike gear is the good stuff makes you look like a 50yr old fkn marshmallow.
  7. Hey samtastic,

Ill lead you in a similar direction i took when shopping specifically for helmets.

There are the organisations that will test a helmet to a standard and if it meets, they will obviously back it by their standards.

There are a few different organisations that do this, and you will see the sticker on the back of the helmets to prove it.
    The most common is the "snell" crash test rating system.
    I wont go into too much detail but they have found that the testing done by snell is not really real world, and in many ways flawed. But still it is good to look at.
    Another organisation worth looking at is the sharp testing, they have been regarded to be the best at what they do.

Have a look at their site, this was the reason i bought my shark rsi helmet.

Other than that (this is what i have read and cannot be backed by myself):
    * forcefield are meant to make the best back protectors
    * Anything using kangaroo leather is meant to have the best for abrasion resistance
    * sidi's high end range of boots and puma's 1000 v2 boots are meant to provide the best foot protection
    * All motorcycle gear should be closely fitted to provide the body less chance of movement in the event of a crash (or off), the prevention of twisting of the spine is the most important.
    * The order of protective gear rating is simplified by saying textiles > kevlar > leather.
    * When buying gear always consider how would you feel travelling 80km/h and jumping out of a car... Does the equipment your considering meet the task required (saving you!)

To answer a few of your questions:

* Safe and comfortable when talking about motorbike gear doesnt always go together. Trying finding a perforated leather jacket with a zipp-out liner, thats what i got.

* Every company has items which are top notch, and other items which are complete rubbish. To say that one company is better than the other is like trying to prove there is a god. :shock:

* Again when looking at gloves and boots, if you want safety then look for kangaroo leather and knuckle protectors for gloves and boots with ankle and heel protection (the less movement from side to side the better)

* If you buy draggins, make sure you get some knee protectors that strap onto your leg. You can remove them when you get off the bike and they are like those ones you can buy with draggins which are just floating there.

Hope some of this helps. :wink:
  8. one of my mates works for (his dad's owns the company) a wholesaler. after getting my gear of him and then seeing it in shops, in many cases the mark up is 100% give or take around 20%

was good though. all my gear for a grand totol of $600
  9. Markup is rarely 100% wholesale to retail in the bike industry. I say that as I look at a price list sitting on the desk......think more like 50-65% if you are lucky. Then you add freight, staff time to book it in, tag and display it, staff time to sell it, costs of the transaction, the cost of the building itself, and see how much of the markup is actually left over as profit.

Then you see the same jacket sold as half price and condemn the industry, when in actual fact that retailer may be forced to offload something to improve cashflow (ie contract to buy X number of new helmets next week needs $) or at this time of year, a retailer will pay tax on the stock that is in hand so better to get rid of some.

You don't need to spend a fortune on decent gear, just shop around wisely.
  10. there isnt one safest brand/type/model of gear.

Its mearly how well it can protect you, the features, the fit and price.

Generally the bigger the brand, the better the build quality and protection, BUT big names do make items which for their price you can get better protection and features from another brand. so generally big names are built on reputation.

Example: My brother bought a Alpinestar leather gloves. 60 buks. just leather, no knuckles, no fancy warmth layer, just leather. where as i got a dri-riders which had knuckles and a little more flexable, for about the same price.

+1 on helmets, what ever you get will protect you (aus standards) jstu teh fit and functionality, eg. vents, anti-fog, comfort & build quality/designs.

jackets - leather is the best, look what the superbikes wear, althou some have leather jackets with airbags etc. But leather isnt practical, they can get quite cold. Textile jackets are what i recomend, eg the dri-rider climate control. as your spending quite alot atm so its got summer and winter. a dual purpose until you get funds for another jacket etc.

Pants - Leather again is best, but walking aroudn in them? you dont look so appealing to the chix as the guy wearing draggins (imo)
    Leather gets hot and can cause your legs to be a sauna. textile pants can be chunky, but have warmth layers
    kevlar jeans wont have much impact protection.

Gloves & boots - designs vary, level of protection vary, materials vary.

At the end of the day, as long as you have a lid, jacket, bottoms, boots & gloves, your good to go. There is no way that any gear will protect you from entering hosptial in a crash, because its just unpridictable whats out there. if a semi-trailier ran you over, no level of gear will protect you from goin to hosptial. gear will minimize your injuries, not prevent them.
  11. didn't look at it like that :cool:
  12. always ask for a discount!
  13. cheers guys,
    you've been great.
    I've got plenty to go on here : )
  14. mcas has the evo jacket on an even better sale now, 199 for those interested.
  15. **** i love sales!
    we need a new thread for bargains spotted on teh interwebs.

GnomeOoomps covered your question well, pretty switched on for a midget.

dude!, check this out, covers everything > http://www.spokes.com.au/#/protective-clothing