Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Safely keeping a bike outside

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by kinch, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Evening ladies and gents,

Without going into a long spiel - I can't keep my bike in the garage. It won't fit, the people who own the cars won't let me put it behind them (they wont risk moving it) and there's no possible way to squeeze the bike through to a better position. Long story short - I need to keep my bike outside, and safely.

Fortunately I live in a low-crime area, but even so I want to take every precaution available. There's really only one place I can keep it, which is a corner just around the garage, which has a bit of concrete. Covering it up is obvious. So are the bike lock(s). I figure one through the tyres should be an okay start. But ideally, I'd prefer something to anchor to the house or ground. I can't drill into the concrete, it's just not an option. I think I'm allowed to drill into the brick if it's not too big a deal. Could I attach a bolt to the house wall and use that as an anchor safely?

I'm not happy about the situation, but hey, that's life, and you just gotta roll with it. What's the best I can do in this bad situation ?

p.s. I did search for other threads, but I got 3500 results, and gave up after looking through ten pages :) If this has been discussed elsewhere, please let me know.

2. Take the car out of the garage and put the bike in there...
  3. Not sure how much I'd trust something drilled into brick, a solid stomp with a big boot could well break it free from its moorings.

Consider a 12-gauge and rocking chair. Failing that, comprehensive insurance.
  4. go to a stock feeds place and buy a battery powered electric fence unit. Hook one end to the battery and the other to your bike. Just remember to turn it off before you go for a ride :shock:
  5. put it in the house :)
  6. :LOL: :LOL:
  7. Buy a Rottweiler and chain him to your bike.
  8. what sort of bike?
  9. ...would take a fair old kick to rip a dyna bolt from a brick wall....could also chuck a chemset in there for added protection
  10. Rule 1 -: If there's not enough room for the cars and the bikes in the garage then the cars live outside!

Rule 2 -: There is no rule 2, see rule 1.
  11. Well, thanks for the uhh... imaginative replies :)

The bike is going to be my "new" bike (second hand heh) which I haven't bought yet (ahem) but which I'm hoping to get in the next few days... it'll be a recent (less than 3 or 4 years old) 650 or 750 (like I said, I haven't actually bought one yet, but this weekend I think will be a big one).

Seriously though, like I said, there really is no other alternative for me. Surely someone out there has been in a similar situation and has come up with a passable solution.

Oh, and I award an internet cookie to TarmacSamurai for his rottweiler suggestion :LOL:
  12. Bikes don't live outside. Put it in your bedroom.
  13. Sounds like you are in quite a pickle.

If you have to bolt it to the wall, naturally, you'll get the biggest bolt you can get away with.

However, the best tip i can give you is that you use a very large chain and when you chain the bike up, do not let the chain hang onto the ground.

Why you ask? Well if I were to come along with a pair of bolt cutters, I'd find it very easy to cut a chain that is on the ground using the ground as leverage and my body as the weight. You can't do that if you don't let the chain hang.
  14. Habibi, sounds like you've knocked off a few bikes in your time.
  15. It does sound like that.

But this is a method that is used by boat owners who do not want to get their boat unhitched from their towbar and stolen by that method.
  16. it sounds like i knocked off boats too but I assure you i'm a boat owner :)
  17. Common sense is just the most absurd proposition nowadays isn't it... :LOL:
  18. Buy a decent cover for it too.

Be aware though that even a fluffy-lined cover (supposedly waterproof) can damage your paintwork when it's being blown about on a windy day chafing the bike.

Yep, found out the unpleasant way. After I realised I put a microfiber blanket over the bike before the cover went on.

Oh, yeah, if you don't put a cover onto it stick the lid off an old 35mm film canister over your ignition slot to keep the rain out.

Final point. Dogs and cats might like to er, "mark" your bike when they're wandering about. It's a bastard taking off the cover when there's cat/dog pee on it. Best solution to this is to buy a Honda... :p
  19. I'd second all the reservations about fastening into brick. It depends on the brick, of course, but it tends to be very brittle. Much more so than concrete. However, in the absence of other options, it's a lot better than nothing.

You've already mentioned covers and locks. This is also one of the few situations where I'd regard an alarm as possibly being worthwhile. If you can hear it, it might just be taken notice of :) .

Other than that lot and comprehensive insurance, there's not a lot more you can do.

Incidentally, once you've got all these security devices, use 'em. I know it seems like common sense, but all but one of the bikes I've directly known to be stolen didn't even have a disk lock on or a shackle lock through the spokes at the time, either through laziness or "I'll only be five minutes" syndrome.