Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Saddlemen Explorer on Suzuki M50

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by Mountaineer, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Just got my new seat in from the US yesterday.
    The oem seat leaves a lot to be desired in the tailbone area so rather than performing the lumpectomy like peter-reebok and co, I elected to get a thirdparty seat.

The original seat:

The new seat:

Cost $550 AUD including the postage in the end, which is like half the price of anything I could buy locally (and about $550 more than the cost of the lumpectomy :))

Ordered from this guy: http://www.gm-cycles.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/5810485/vpcsid/0/SFV/32653 via ebay. Over $100 AUD of the total was shipping, but it did get here in 8 business days which is pretty impressive.

Haven't had a chance to give it an extended test yet, but I'm happy so far. :)

2. Congrats on the new seat, will be loads more comfortable then the original POS.

From what I've read i believe the saddlemens may have a break in period before they reach their potential.
  3. Thanks. :)

Rode in to work this morning, which is only about 20km of stop start traffic.
    The seat feels slightly lower to me, but not any further forward (which is something several other riders have commented on).
    When I hit potholes and things it's like I'm sitting on a plank, but the brunt of the impact is on my arse cheeks, not my tail bone, so it doesn't actually hurt.
    One nice change is that under hard acceleration, instead of sliding back on the seat and up onto the pillion area, my arse hits the back of the riders seat and stops!
    The pillion seat is much wider too, so I look forward to going for a ride with the Mrs to get her feedback (previously she complained of being sore after only half an hour).
  4. The stock pillion seat is a joke.
    I've got the mustang vintage wide and the pillion seat on that is about as big as the original drivers seat much to gf approval.