Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Saddlebag repairs (Syd)

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by chilliman64, Mar 28, 2016.

1. #1 chilliman64, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    hi Netriders,

I have a set of detachable leather bags on my fatboy. unfortunately a few months ago I had one of them come off due to me not attaching it properly :confused:

the cost to replace is very expensive as you can't buy a single from HD (only pairs - around $1500) and I've been watching the 'bay to see if I can get one only from the US but have not had any luck so far.

can anyone recommend a leather repairer in Sydney or surrounds that can do saddlebag repairs? I do travel to Canberra, Wollongong, Orange and Bathurst with work so those areas would be good for me also. someone mentioned Gypsy Leather at Auburn, anyone had experience with them?

thanks guys and girls.

edit: thanks to mod for moving my topic to the correct area! :cool:
  2. I'd have thought any half decent upholsterer, boot maker or saddler would be able to fix it.

How thick is the leather? Pic of damage?
  3. #3 chilliman64, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    thanks dude - do you know any half decent upholsterers, boot makers or saddlers? that is really what I am after but I don't know of any hence my post looking for some helpful advice.

I have the item packed in the shed at present. suffice to say that it is thick leather, probably 3 or 4mm... badly scuffed and a bit torn, has had some of the studs pulled through etc. it came off when I was doing about sixty on the Hume Highway at Warwick Farm as you can imagine it looks pretty knocked around. the bag frame got a bit bent but that seems ok after a rough'n'ready straighten out on the side of the road.

I'll dig it out when I have a few minutes and post a pic up, maybe that will help.
  4. I went to Gypsy Leather on the weekend. the guy here was very cool. he had a look at the damaged bag and suggested I save money and get some bits from Bunnings and have a crack at the repair myself saying that he couldn't really do much with the scuffing anyway.

I bought some stainless bolts and acorn nuts and washers and some gel epoxy/adhesive, got the drill out and did it. the epoxy stuff took a few days to harden but it looks pretty good for a bodgie jog and only cost me about $15 in bits and pieces. now I've got one saddlebag that looks brand new and the other looks a bit rough, oh well that's life.