Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Sack the TAC

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Sir Ride Alot, Jan 9, 2012.

1. The TAC continues to blame everyone instead of acknowledging its own failures and obsolescence as a commission. It is astonishing that it still harps on about its failed speed campaign even though speed limits were savagely lowered with a near zero result in the road toll.

It’s not okay to punish law abiding citizens for going about their business and the TAC is the one that should be ashamed.

Sack the TAC and stop the pain and suffering of innocent Victorians.

440 fines a day: state's road shame
    Barry Park January 9, 2012 - 3:07PM

Victoria's road trauma watchdog has lashed out at the state's drivers after police records showed more than 440 speeding fines were handed out each day over the holiday period.

The Transport Accident Commission said today that Victorian drivers should be ashamed that they had regularly ignored warnings and exceeded the speed limit over the Christmas and New Year period.

"These people should really count themselves lucky that they have only been handed a fine and haven't killed someone," TAC chief executive Janet Dore said.

"But [making speeding socially unacceptable is] a challenge we're up for and we will work harder to create the social change this community desperately needs to further reduce road trauma," she said.

Victoria Police detected 23,050 speeding motorists over its Summer Stay campaign aimed, in part, at slowing drivers down. That figure does not include fixed speed cameras, which could add another 3600 speeding tickets a day to the tally based on the number of infringements recorded in the 12 months to June last year.

Police statistics show more than 1.1 million drivers were breath-tested over the 52-day campaign period that ended last night, with 2610 drink drivers caught — far fewer than the previous year.

Another 397 drivers were found to be under the influence of drugs, while 4510 more were found to have either a disqualified licence, or were driving unlicenced.

Seatbelt offences were handed out to another 3584 people, while 5734 were pulled up for using a mobile phone while driving.

Over the period, 433 vehicles were impounded under hoon laws. Police say the latest car to be impounded was detected yesterday travelling at 155km/h in a 100km/h zone on the McIvor Highway at Axedale, just after 5pm.

The 29-year-old female learner driver from Fitzroy was almost inside a 60km/h zone when she was caught, police say.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Of equal importance, 3,584 people were given tickets for something that the government should have no say in.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. This lacks detail. Before they can make comments like ....
    The Transport Accident Commission said today that Victorian drivers should be ashamed that they had regularly ignored warnings and exceeded the speed limit over the Christmas and New Year period.

"These people should really count themselves lucky that they have only been handed a fine and haven't killed someone," TAC chief executive Janet Dore said.

Lets have a break down of the fines
    eg less than 5k over
    less than 10k over
    etc etc
    then break it down in the speed zones they happened in.

maybe then and only then can we get some reality on this to counter the blatant knee-jerk reaction comments.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. It's shocking to read the ongoing crap Victorians have to put up with from this Gov Dept. How do they get away with it?
  5. With all these road users detected over the speed limit, and dare I say most being less than 20kph over, I'd say it's the speed limits of those roads that's wrong and not the driver/riders..
    • Like Like x 6
  6. The TAC smells funny. That's all I have to say about that.
  7. They will never achieve this because the public isn't as stupid as they want us to be..
    Everyone knows that speed doesn't kill, crashing does...
    Work towards stopping the crashing of the 70% (tac stats) of fatalities that WERE NOT over the legal limit and that will go some way to improving things.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. So many disqualified or unlicensed drivers! More than those drunk or stoned.

I'd guess that unlicensed drivers are more of a danger than disqualified drivers (especially if they were only disqualified for not wearing their seatbelt and speeding a few times) but shouldn't TAC be more concerned about 4000 DUI and 4500 unlicensed drivers than any number of people going 5Km/h over the limit?

I agree, they need to sort out their priorities or should be sacked.
  9. I can still remember the time I nearly drifted into a tree.
  10. i didnt think they were a government department? in fact im 99% sure they arent.. vicroads is, and i thought they were a customer of tac, who bought their insurance services through each and every registration?

but being a private organisation, they are 100% focused towards making more money/not spending as much and this is why they harp on about saving lives and slowing down speed limits.. they dont really give a shit if Joe Blow runs off a road and kills himself in a single vehicle incident at the speed limit because they dont have to pay out any/as much insurance money?

am i right? if not, could someone correct me where im wrong?

11. Why should TAC not say anything when it is also involved in promoting road safety in Victoria and in improving Victoria's trauma system?

The Transport Accident Commission is a Victorian Government-owned organisation. Funding used by the TAC to perform it's functions
    comes from payments made by Victorian motorists when they register their vehicles each year with VicRoads.

• Like Like x 2
  12. What Janet Dore said offends my intelligence. Fancy saying that just because someone exceeded the posted speed limit they were lucky they didn't die!

It's no wonder speeding isn't ranking on the socially unacceptable charts because a) the public aren't that stupid and 2) the public can smell the whiff of bullshit when it's obviously whiffy.
  13. why didn't we have 23050 deaths, surely going 1 km over the limit is going to kill you :(
  14. Given the ammount of times I've driven or ridden drunk (never) compared to the amount of times I've sped, and given the amount of times I've been breath tested compared to how many times I've passed a speed trap, the number of drink drivers is far far more alarming than people caught speeding.
  15. Given that drink-driving can have very serious consequences, I've yet to work out why impounding a vehicle for minor "hooning" like lifting the front wheel on take-off is acceptable - but it's not acceptable to impound it for drink-driving.
  16. vicroads sets speed limits does rego etc tac just does insurance and claims
  17. The TAC can SAY "hey ******** wear a seatbelt", but the government should not be able to mandate it. If an adult wants to be in a car without a seatbelt, that should be his choice and his choice alone (unless the owner of the car stipulates otherwise).
  18. I find these American type rights arguments perplexing.

I'm on other boards where the US folk will argue black and blue, with religious fervour about the benefit of ABS and how it's saved their lives... yet they argue equally as religiously about not wearing helmets because it's their right. If life saving is the key issue, then helmets are a slam dunk, just like seat belts.
  19. I think the former USSR had some fairly effective re-education camps, they might want to look into that, since their current attempts at social engineering seem not to be working as well as they hoped?
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Life saving is not the key issue as far as I'm concerned, individual freedoms are. If an adult wants to drive a car without his seatbelt or a bike without a helmet, that should be his call, because he should be the only person who gets to make that decision.

ABS is a different situation. I'd still say it should never be mandatory for two reasons: Cost, and because it has a detrimental effect on stopping distances in certain situations. The first thing I used to do once we'd start getting snow in winter back home was pull my ABS fuse out of my car and set it in the toolkit until spring.