Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sachs Madass 125 - Legal on Highway?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by RIOT1, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Hey guys,

I've googled this a bit. But cant find anything.

Does anyone know if you can legally ride a Sachs 125 Madass on the highway? Given the manufacturer specs say its top speed is 95km and the high way is often up to 110km/h is this legal?

I'm toying with the idea of getting one and doing a 160cc mod to it so 110 should be attainable, but just wondering if theres a legal issue.

2. Perfectly legal. Probably not fun or sensible though.
  3. Awesome

There are few things i do that are.... :beer:
  4. Most of the old retiress do 80kmh on the highways anyway so you'll be fine, just don't do what they do and sit in the right hand lane.
  5. Firstly, I've got a 125 4 stroke so I'm equipped to answer this one.. my 125 has more guts than a madass but it struggles to maintain 90 if theres any incline and its max speed is 105-110 on flat. If you need to go on the freeway I'd suggest 200cc absolute minimum.

Incase this isn't clear enough, no a 125 madass is not suitable for freeway use. Yes, a 160 kit will allow it to hit 110 - but it will completely fail on hills and sustained use at that speed (you'll be at full throttle with nothing in reserve) will lead to greatly enhanced wear on the motor and premature engine failure.

And no, nothing illegal with doing say 80 in a 110 zone. But legalities are somewhat irrelevant when you become a hood ornament because you were travelling too far below median traffic speed.
  6. As a veteran of slow bikes on fast roads, I can assure you that you will be bullied, tailgated and overtaken by faster vehicles who won't bother to change lanes properly to get past you, so they'll be 5mm off your handlebar end.

Find an alternative route or get a 250.
  7. When we are on our L/P restrictions then we are only legal up to 80/90 anyway - not much fun though being that much slower than the rest of the traffic and having all those 4 wheel tanks flying up your arse!

If you were going to be on a highway regularly then you'd be much happier on a 250, imho.
  8. Legal? Absolutely. If anybody complains you can quote from the speed limit signs I saw on Tasmanian roads: "It's a limit, not a challenge!".

As far as I know there is no legal obligation to not fall below the posted speed limit when traveling on our highways.

People traveled around Australia on all kinds of small machines, including recently a couple on 100cc SYM Symbas step-throughs that have a max speed of around 90km/hr on a good day... They survived.
  9. lol thanks for the concerns guys, I have a gixxer 1000, this is just a get around toy that wont cost me $800 in tyres and $1000's in fines ;)

It was just the legality i was questioning.
  10. Something no-one has mentioned so far - the focus has all been on top speed - is that there are signs going onto freeways, in QLD at least, saying something like 'no animals, horses, pedestrians or mopeds'. Now, there is barely such a thing as an actual moped (motor + pedals, but not a motorised bicycle) around any more, but in considering the legality of riding something like the Sachs on the freeway there's this to consider as well as speed. I mean, it's not a moped, but some cops might think it is and then you're stuck with going to court to fight it or sucking it up.

Freeway == actual bike.
  11. I don't remember any signs that say no mopeds in Oz?
  12. I saw a Sachs Roadster 650 the other week, LOVED IT

The sound was awesome, reminded me of the old German war bikes with the side cart :D Im seriously considering one for a commuter down the track. Really loved the sound and the classic looks. You can also pick one up fairly cheap tho the hard part is finding one, theres not to many available :s

Any other opinions on the Roadster 650?
  13. I'm not sure if a minimum speed would be 'enforced' on a freeway?
    Freeways have multiple lanes which allow safe overtaking at any point, so there wouldn't be any 'obstruction' to traffic flow enough to attract an offence.

If it did present a problem, it'll be most likely due to the volume of traffic preventing a smooth lane change, but thats when courtousy of all drivers is the big problem, not one vehicle.
  14. Depends how far below the limit you are. Roads can have minimum speed limits which are set on a case by case basis. It's the reason why many of the freeways in Victoria have signs banning farm machinery, cyclists, etc which are not capable of meeting that speed.
  15. Well then, until they have a sign banning Sachs motorcycles you're legal. Admittedly it's been a while since I've sat the test but I'm pretty certain there is no road sign in Australian road rules for 'must maintain speed of no less than X km/hr' ... unless Victorian road rules are very different from NSW.
  16. There's no signs for minimum speed limit but the cops can still book you for obstructing traffic if your speed is far below that of other vehicles. From what I can find on the 'net the threshold seems to be around 80kph for WA, and 60kph for QLD.

Can't find any info for NSW or VIC but I reckon if you were only doing 80 in a 110 zone your just asking to get pulled over by the cops (even if it's just so they can tell you how much of an idiot you are).
  17. Plenty of learners go on the highway with 110km/h zones who are limited at 80km/h. I doubt riding the madass would get you pulled.

I did 100 zones on the MA and never had issues. I pulled over once there was more than 2 cars though.
  18. I'd say the viability of the Madass for a cheap runaround (in addition to your gixxer) would depend on how much freeway riding you expect to do.

If it's shorter sections or only occasional trips, then I'm sure it'd be fine. If you're planning on more substantial trips down the freeway, then I'd suggest either a more gutsy 125cc or stepping up to a 250cc (at which point you may find that less stress on the engine, and maintenance costs as a result - makes up for the extra $90 or so you'd have to pay in annual rego).