Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sachs Express 150 vs Kymco CK 125

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by bbyboy, Jul 6, 2010.

1. hi guys

i would just like to know which of these bikes would be a better choice? from what ive seen, theyre very similar in looks

Sachs Express
    price: $2400
    wanrranty: 1 year
    engine: 150cc
    power: 8.8kw
    power to weight: 77.8
    weight: 113kg
    tank: 12l
    seat height: 760mm
    http://www.sachsbikes.com.au/express.php

Kymco CK 125
    price: $2700
    warranty: 2 years
    engine: 125cc
    power: 7.5kw
    power to weight: 64.1
    weight: 117kg
    tank: 16l
    seat height: 770mm
    http://www.kymco.com.au/motorcycles/ck.aspx

2. They're both small bikes, made by non-prestige manufacturers. Both will max out at ~100kmh, neither will handle or stop particularly brilliantly and either could suffer quality control problems.

If I was regarding the purchase as a disposable gamble and had the skills and knowledge to sort out potential problems myself, I'd go the Sachs for the extra capacity and power and lower purchase price.

If I wanted to minimise the risk of being left with a heap of unsaleable junk and would be dependent on the dealer to sort out problems, I'd get the Kymco for its longer warranty, in spite of its apparently lower spec and higher purchase price.

3. The hell with it. Use that $2500 to get a second hand bike of decent quality. For that amount of money you would pick up a clean CB250 - a well known bike with good spares backup in the event of a breakdown...which is unlikely.

For what its worth, I'm willing to part with a well-running, registered CBR250R for $2500.

- boingk

4. my computations rate the kymco slightly less gay than the sacks, but it is a very narrow margin.
    both bikes score of the charts on the gayometer.

5. LMAO!!!=D>
    hmmm, why are you opting for these rather than getting a more capable 2nd hand bike mate?
    different strokes for different folks i know, but wouldnt it be good to have a bike to cater for all speeds and hills etc?

6. lol when you change colours on that Kymco, you get a completely different bike in red to the one in black.

IMO, why make motorcycling any more dangerous by buying shit like this? I second the idea of a used 250. Hell, even a Honda CB125R or a Megelli (!) would have to be better.

7. yeah thats what im indecisive about, cheaper plus more power vs longer warranty

i had a cbr250rr and i dont want to get another one

the reason i decided on these two bikes is because they are cheap brand new, i want a brand new bike because they come with warranty, they are light and easy to ride on, easy to learn and get p's, they are naked and they both have a kick start.

8. actually the red kymco is an older model. the 2010 models are both the same. isnt it more dangerous with a bigger bike? the faster you go the longer it takes to stop

9. On paper Sachs looks slightly better but Sachs are just another 'Made in China' item of doubtful quality while Kymco are Taiwanese and are known for making very decent quality scooters. That doesn't mean this particular bike will be any good, but it's better than nothing.

10. that's something to ponder... both bikes would have a top speed about 80kph. (downhill, strong tailwind)
    so, starting with that figure, would either of them pull up quicker than say your typical late model jap 2fiddy doing 80kph... hell no.
    you've got shit brakes, shit tires and shit suspension.
    so in fact, not matter what speed you are doing those things are not going to pull up anywhere near as quick as a good jap 2fidyy.
    speaking of tires, look at the sizes... you can't even buy propper tires in those sizes.

it's not that they are bad bikes, because they're not... shit you get a center stand and a kickstart, awesome.

the problem is they're simply not suitable for Aussie roads and riding.
    they're made for an Asian market, like Taiwan, where they all just potter around in severely congested cities at 40-50 kph... anything faster than that is pushing the bike beyond safe handling.

it's my opinion that they are dangerously underpowered for surviving the traffic in an Australian city.

if you save one more grand, you could buy a decent bike in perfect nic... and you could resell it in a year for what you paid for it.

11. You'll have to take into account what most of your riding will be.

I sold my Spada to a guy that went through two Sachs 150 that literally just fell to bits while he rode, and he is over the moon with his "upgrade". Mind you, most of his commute was on the Freeway (why you would persevere on a 150 while awaiting to be cleaned up by traffic is beyond me). As for the Kymco, know nothing about them.

No doubt if you're using it to get from A to B as a simple commute they're both going to do the job. And at the bottom dollar that you're paying, I guess it's just a throwaway bike as you'll get very little in return as resale.

If those are the only two choices, the extra years warranty would probably sway it for me.

12. Having done a fair bit of commuting on scooters of 125cc and below I disagree, as long as it really is the city we're talking about. They will keep up with your stop-start traffic up to 60-70km/hr, no problem. I wouldn't neccessarily want to take them out on roads with speed limits above 70km/hr but come on - there aren't many of those in the city.

13. bboy - why didn't you like the CBR250R? If it was because of its high-end power delivery and racy seating position I completely understand. Thats why I recommended the CB250 - good, reliable bikes that have some decent grunt off idle (for a 250) and comfy to ride on.

AFAIK, the Kymco is a copy of a Honda CB125 engine, and the Sachs is a copy of a Suzuki GS125. I don't think I'd touch either. If you really are into them, check out the QJ Speed 150. Its in a similar vein and runs a grand sum of $1800 brand new.

- boingk

14. What about the ol' CT110? They're about as close to indestructible as you can get, absolutely proven, cheap to maintain, reasonably comfortable, cheap to buy, and they're postie bikes! :D

15. Have you ridden the postie in traffic, I had one before I had my Sachs Madass 125 and the Madass is a lot quicker. I couldn't split on the postie as much as the engine was that much slower (being smaller capacity and weighing more), but also it wasn't as fast as you couldnt hold as much speed because you couldnt stop as easily because of the brakes. I split everywhere on the sachs.

My madass has 13700 kms on it. I have had it since 3500kms, in that time I have had only some electrical issues with fuses blowing and some loose bolts. Oh and the fork seals blew but that was only after I put heavier oil in the forks. Parts are supposed to be an issue and I had to wait 4 days to get a tyre in. So yeah spares can take longer than a japanese bike but 4 days is not an issue. Its not my only bike but I dont care about a few days off the road so YMMV.

One thing is make sure you change the oil regularly. I do mine every 2000 kms. You will find that they have 3000km schedules but it is a little motor working hard (well I work mine hard).

Cant comment on the Kymko as never ridden one.

16. Posties? I ride one for a living. Its an exercise in frustration.

Reliable top speed? 70km/h
    Emergency braking? Forgeddaboudit!
    Style? Nadda
    Fuel economy? Awesome...then again so is the CBR250R I'm riding.

As for tyres, that'd most likely be because the local dealer didn't have in stock the size and make you were after. Tyres aren't specific to a manufacturer or a particular motorcycle.

- boingk

17. ill mostly use it for going to uni and to work

lol dislike the high end power? no. the main reasons i didnt like the cbr is because i found it very hard to turn at low speed. parking was a problem and i had to do a 10-point turn. it doesnt have a fuel gauge and when i ran out of fuel, i put it on reserve and couldnt get the bike to start and the battery when flat. the seat height was perfect for me but my inner thigh always hurt after i ride it.
    the QJ seems quite nice. is that $1800 ride away? ive never heard of QJ before. can you confirm its a popular brand though?

18. That's 1,800+orc. QJ are new to Australia, though no doubt come from some factory in China that has been building them by the million for the last 10 years... it seems to be one of those 'we build a bike and put any brand name you want on it' deals that are common in scooter world at that price point.

19. The QJ looks to be another clone of the ever-reliable Suzuki GS125, albeit bored or stroked out to 150cc. Its also got fuel injection if I remember rightly. $1800 is purchase price only, onroads would be 3% stamp duty, $108 rego and probably only $170 in CTP.

Not sure of the brands popularity, but the bike seems to be getting decent reviews as a basic commuter in magazines like Australian Motorcycle News (AMCN)

Cheers - boingk

20. Careful with reviews though, wasn't there someone on these boards a few years back who bought a Sachs 150KN due to good reviews, then had a lot of problems? You need to remember that a reviewer doesn't LIVE with the bike, so the best they can do is test everything except long-term reliability.