Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[SA] The 65 Roses day for Cystic Fibrosis Fundraising Motory

Discussion in 'Other States' at netrider.net.au started by ForumBot, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Added to Calendar by: Darryl

It's simple. Book your place in the rally ASAP.

Raise $100 (through your family, friends, neighbours, etc) and drop off your money and completed sponsorship form to MaryLou at Garage Motorcycles - 11 Sunter St, Strathalbyn (8536 2677) or Ann at LJ H...

... more

This is an automated posting of an Events Calendar entry.

2. So let me get this straight, they want you to collect donations (to the value of $100) then drive/ride to Strath no later than the 12th of May to drop your entry form off, then ride there "again" on the day to go for the ride, I don't know about you, but Strath is 72km away from me, and that is using the shortest route possible according to 'whereis' doesnt seem practible.

I don't see what difference it makes as to weather the donation is dropped off on the day or prior to said day. Worked for the Pink Ribbon ride, dont see why it couldnt here.

As to my answer. I am thinking about it, with a not high chance of it happening.

3. Fair enough observation, though if 72km of riding isn't your thing then I doubt you'll enjoy the actual day. I imagine it's going to be a fair bit longer than 72km. :)

I collected in excess of $100 in 2 days just at my workplace. I was very surprised to see how freely people were prepared to donate $5 here and $10 there. It really wasn't hard or time consuming.

The 2006 Pink Ribbon ride in WA registered over 1,000 bikes and raised $8,500 in total - $8.50 per rider. Imagine if the 65 roses only got 100 people @ $100 each. Far more profitable for the end charity and a great twist on the whole donation thing IMO.

I'd call LJ Hooker in Strath and see perhaps if you can do the initial liaison with a more local branch - it may be possible.

Or you could email MaryLou, have the form sent to you by snail mail, then collect the money and post her the forms and a cheque by the 12th. It's not impossible. I've emailed her to ask re this for you. Will let you know.

If Nth Adelaide isn't too far from you, then I could even take your form and donation and deliver it to MaryLou on your behalf. I could ask her to email you confirmation that she received it. Basically I'm happy to try to make it easy for you. Same goes for anyone else who thinks several trips to Strath are a big ask.

Another thought is that we could organise a NR ride (learners ride or whatever) to go to Strath one weekend soon, and intended participants could then drop off donations without it feeling like a chore.

Failing that, give MaryLou at Garage Motorcycles a call. She may be quite happy to collect your money on the day.

I imagine the reason for the 12th May 'deadline' is so they can confirm committed riders for catering and other purposes. Remember, this is a 'mystery ride' rather than a straight group ride so there may be a good reason for wanting an earlier registration period. If you were a dead-set starter, then I cannot see why delivery of the money couldn't be negotiated.

It'd be great to have a NR contingent come along.

Cystic Fibrosis is a terrible disease. Any funds raised to help the kids and adults living with it to me is worth it. Thanks for considering supporting this cause. :)

4. You shouldn't need any freakin' excuse for a ride to Strath. IMHO

Cheers,

5. Part of these rides is getting attention to the charity, I don’t know about you but over 1000 bikes is more likely to a/ get media attention b/ people’s attention then a small ride of less than 100 (I doubt they will get close to 100)
    I would be interested if there are any stats on donations based on my theory

6. Hi All

I have received an email from MaryLou from garage Motorcycles.
    I hope this makes it easier for potential riders in some way.

Hahaha. Well, that's what I initially thought too, but I'm happy to try to help people out if it is a hassle.

Yup - and this ride is only a small part of the whole 65 roses day event. You can check their website at http://www.65rosesday.org.au/ for full information about how they are publicising the day and their relationship with the media. The ride itself is not primarily motivated by gaining publicity and is about raising money.

I hope people can make it. Should be fun. Look forward to seeing you there!!!

7.  Top
  8. Sounds like a good day out for a good cause

9. Bump

Limited numbers of returned sponsorship forms to date, according to MaryLou. Anyone 'sitting on the fence' please step up and grab your sponsorship form! Money can be brought on the day as long as you register for the ride (for catering purposes) by May 12th.

10. *sigh* I just realised I'm on call that weekend so I'm out.

I did email MaryLou and got a stack of the registration/sponsorship forms sent out if anyone's keen tho?

11. Thanks to everyone who turned out. There were about 40 motorcycles registered for the day and in total, over $6,500 was raised for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. This makes this charity ride one of the highest "per machine" fundraising events on the SA calendar.

Thanks to the organisers, especially MaryLou from Garage Motorcycles and to the residents of Strathalbyn who patiently put up with the traffic chaos!! Thanks also to Channel 7 news who did a short spot on their nightly bulletin.

Well done and thankyou to all participants and those who supported the event!!!!!!