Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

SA Licensing Question

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by mcbigg, May 2, 2006.

1. Hello all, quick question:

I'm a week away from becoming a fully fledged, fully licensed rider! :dance:

At the moment I have an "R-Date" license. Next tuesday, the "Date" is up.

My question is this:

Do I have to go in and get another license done, so that it's just an R license (not R-Date)?

Thanks.

2. Congrats :)
    Good question. I would say the answer is no, as police radio check will confirm you have an un-restricted license. Best to give Dept. of Transport a call and ask ... (08) 8343 2222

3. Unfortunately you'll have to go in and get another photograph. When I upgraded in 2002 it was an extra $10.

4. One other tip - when my BF went from his r-date to his full, he went in the date the licence expired. got it off work & everything. Only to be told by the lady in motor reg that they couldn't do it that day, he had to wait till the following day. apparently it "causes problems with the computer system" or some crap, as you are still legally restricted on that day.

so if you're planning to take the day off work, take the FOLLOWING day off to get your licence.

And congrats!

5. Thanks for the congrats and also thanks for the tip about the day after thing. It probably would have caught me out had you not told me about it.

Thanks to all for your speedy replies. Much appreciated.

Now, to start looking for a bigger bike....[rubs hands together with glee]

6. did u have much trouble with your P test? Did you use ur zx?

7. I passed the Ps test easily, but having said that, I did have a little trouble on the slow, tight turning parts of the test, such as the U-turns and the S-bend.

This is because on my ZXR I'm used to giving it a fistful of throttle and letting the clutch out and taking off. Not so used (or wasn't at the time) to riding the clutch and just piddling along at really slow speeds. Also the turn circle on this bike (and most sportsbikes) is woeful, so I didn't get much practise doing the slow tight turns before the test.

I didn't use my bike on the test. I had ridden down the the test centre prior to the test and attempted the course on my own and there was no way in hell that this bike could do those turns. Not with me on it anyways! So I used one of their CB250s which is much easier to ride at slow speeds, and has a much better turn circle.

Advice would be to do lots of practise riding the clutch at slow speeds, and practise doing as tight a turns as you can at the slowest speeds you can.
    If you can do this, you shouldn't have a problem passing the test.

Cheers.

8. Walk in pay $15 dollars get your photo taken, and take home your temp licenses till your new one arrives in a week :)

Enjoyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Walk in pay $15 dollars get your photo taken, and take home your temp licenses till your new one arrives in a week :)

Enjoyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. its $15 now

11. no worries mate, just make sure you show us pics of your new baby when you get it!