Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

SA licence question for new arrival

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by fat_elvis, Apr 3, 2006.

  1. G'day,
    Just arrived in Adelaide and have a question about converting my UK (N.Ire) bike licence.
    I passed my test in Aug 2004 which meant I was restricted to a 33BHP bike for 2 years (as you can work out I've 5 months left) by UK law.
    The question is, if I convert my licence to an SA one (which I believe only has a 1 year restriction - I think this is a P plate) will I get an unrestricted licence ?

    I'd like to get the licence sorted ASAP as I'm currently shopping for a bike but don't want to be told I have to go to the start of a 1 year SA restriction -I'd rather wait until Aug and convert an unrestricted UK licence.

    Any ideas ?

  2. dont know. ask at the relevant authority. Its usually a minefield that stuff.
  3. You should go straight to unrestricted
  4.  Top
  5. Yeah,
    It's really not something that many pepole know except for people who have done the exact same thing as you. so as said above ring transportsa and they should be able to give you your answer.
  6. Welcome Elvis, the information you need is at the below link:


    If you are a temporary resident and not a migrant/permanent resident, you can use the equivalent restriction (i.e. LAMS bike) for as long as your visa lasts (of course if your UK license upgrades to "open" in that time you'll be allowed the same here).

    However, if your keen on something bigger, I'd march into Transport SA and ask for a license with the same expiry date for restrictions. There should be NO reason for them to give you "one year."