Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

SA level 2 licence test - done!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by gegvasco, Jun 5, 2005.

1. I managed to scrape in on my final licence test yesterday. Off to the motor reg ASAP to get those damn L plates off and lift the 80kph restriction. For anyone who was looking for details on what the level 2 test involves here is a description.

5 individual tests that each take about 15-30 seconds each. You do one after the other with a short stop between each to line you up on the start point for the next test and for the instructor to give you a final brief on that test. The tests are(in order):

1. S-weave. There is an S weave pattern marked on the ground with two lines marking the track that you must ride within. The lines are about 50cm apart. From the start of the S to the bottom of the S is about 5 metres meaning that it requires moderate turning at a very slow speed. You also have to know where your back wheel is going in a turn ie. if you ride your front wheel close to the inside line, your back wheel will be on/over the line.

2. Feet up U turns. They have a rectangular box about 15 metres long by 3 metres wide. You have to ride down one side to the end of the box, make a very tight left U turn that contines back to the side you started from, then a right U turn to get you going the same way you started from. It is very tight and requires lots of prior practice. At Oaklands Park, it is also on a significant incline so that adds another dimension to it as one U turn is downhill and other uphill.

3. Short weave. They place about 10 half tennis balls on markings about 2 metres apart in a straight line. You have to weave through them without touching any. Relatively easy.

4. Slow speed balance. They have a 15m long narrow track marked out - two straight lines about 40cm apart. You have to go as slow as possible without touching the lines and the time it takes you to get to the end is measured. The longer the better. If you take more than 15 seconds, full pass. If you take 12-15 seconds(ie. you went slightly faster than the pass mark) then you lose one point. If you do it in less than 12 seconds, then you lose lots of points. It can be tricky and the risk of going too slow is touching a line or putting your foot down, both of which cost as many points as doing less than 12 seconds. In my case, I had points to spare with only the emergency braking test to come(which was make or break anyway - no pun intended) so I was advised to go fast through this test. This gained me 5 points(which I could afford) and avoided the risk of accruing 10 if I went outside the lines or put a foot down.

5. Emergency braking on command. You start off quickly and get it into second gear doing a steady 30kph heading towards the instructor. At a random point, he will raise his hand indicating stop. You do a full emergency stop changing down into 1st gear as well and left foot must come down first. You have to stop within 11 metres.

Overall, you get 20 points to play with. Get to 21 points and you have to rebook and try again(maybe months later). You lose 5 points for crossing lines, stalling, putting your foot down when not required, running over the tennis balls etc. You lose one point for not being in first at the end of the emergency braking test. On each exercise each type of misdemeanor can only get up to 10 points ie. if you run outside the box on the U turn test, once you have crossed the line twice, you have 10 points and can't get any more points for crossing lines. However, the big one is that if you don't do the emergency braking within 11 metres, you instantly fail regardless of what points you are on.

The other trick is that the start point for each test is only about 1 metre from the actual course so you have no room to get moving and settled. If you are shaky at getting good speed control straight away from a stop, then practice that a lot because it is essential for the S-weave, short weave and slow speed balance tests.

Any other questions, PM me.

2. congratulations Greg,

now we can do 110 together.......

3. Hi and congrats!

A mate and I both have twist and go scooters but are thinking of doing Ridersafe just to learn more and maybe go for a bigger bike one day. The guy I spoke to at Ridersafe a couple of months ago was fairly clueless and suggested they really weren't interested in scooters. Any thoughts?

4. Can't help much there unfortunately? Scooters really didn't rate a mention during the course. They have one or two available to do the training on for those that desire them but they aren't the norm. I did overhear one instructor bagging them for being deathtraps as well. I don't know anything about scooters but I remember hearing that some have automatic gearboxes? If this is the case then the course may not teach you as much because it stresses clutch control. Most of the Level 2 tests require lots of clutch control to pass.

5. Keen for a final ride real soon. 'Final' because my employer has upended all my plans. No longer doing that big trip anymore. Instead I will likely be moving to Sydney in a few weeks. And yes, it is real good to have that 80k restriction lifted.

6. did he mention why he thinks they're death traps?

edit: congratulations :)

7. No, and given these blokes are like Yoda on two wheels and I hadn't even riden a bike at the time the comment was made, I didn't think to ask. Sorry.

8. Goodonya gegvasco, now for the ceremonial burning of the L plate :D

The bagging out of scooters was probably just them being a bit elitist.

Here in Tas the course is set up for scooters and bikes together.

JJ

9. Mmmmm. I hadn't thought of that. Now you've gone and got the devious part of my brain going. :twisted:

10. I'm doing the Ridersafe Advanced Level 2 course on Saturday. I'm really nervous. Think I've got 3 out of 5 tests down but unsure about the tight turning ones. Its pretty difficult to do them on a ZZR!!!

11. Trish, can you borrow a different bike for that test, more than one person has said the same thing about sports bike turning circles...?

12. They have bikes there you can use.... I guess I'm just concerned that I haven't had the practice. I've been practicing doing them on the ZZR, obviously just can't do them as tight.

13. can you cadge the use of a naked bike for a couple of hours one night and ride around an industrial area somewhere? Surely one of our helpful SA Netriders could give you a hand?

14. They do cater for scooters there ... They have a couple of scooters and there is nearly always someone on a scooter during the test. When i did it the guy on the scooter managed to fall off 2 or 3 times, and ended up failing.

15. Congrats on passing your level 2,
    I'm going for my L's on Jan28/29, never rode bikes and am quite nervous, after reading your post im sort of worried about my choice of bike, a Hyosung gt250r.
    how much harder is it on a sports (type) bike to a naked one? took me a long time to pick this bike (price, insurance, looks ect) dont wont to fail when my time comes :( because of my choice of motorcycle.

16. are you talking about doing the test on your bike...because that would be foolish ... Use one of their cb250s .... or better still one of the yamaha trail bikes

17. With bikes having different lengths, turning circles,weights etc could anyone suggest which 250cc bikes would be easier to do the SA tests (both parts) in? Just a thought when looking to purchase a bike model.

Are the physical dimensions of the obstacles available? Some netriders have made suggestions as to the dimensions but do the testing authority make available the exact lengths?

18. Hi Logic,
    What part of SA you from? and when you doing you test ?

19. Yeah Im a little concerned about the tight turn too, I reckon Im gonna have to jump on a traily a hell of a lot easier to turn than the RGV

20. When I first got my L's about 3 years ago (well before LAMS) we were told by the instructors to use their bikes if we had bought an RGV250. It is physically impossible to complete the figure 8 turns due to the turning circle of the RGV.