Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

SA laws on traffic splitting

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Funky Munky, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Just a question. Does anyone actually KNOW what the road rules are concerning riding inbetween the traffic at the lights? I do it all the time but I would like to know if its legal or not. Don't care if it is illegal I'll do it anyway but I'd like to know. :wink: I've heard from some that its totally illegal. Others say its legal as long as you don't cross the dashed lines. Keeping left of the lines. Who knows? :?:

2. You obviously do care, but you just want to look tough.

It's highly illegal. The fine is loss of 2 demerit points per vehicle passed and $175.00 per offence. In other words if any of us get caught we will be walking home.

I did get pulled over for it last week by a cop on a bike and warned off.
  3. 2 per car?! WTF!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Thats farking bullcrap!
  4. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  5. Checkit out and weeps boyz......
  7. Come on guys check out the facts I am awaiting an answer!
    I don't mind you firing off with limitless sacasm, but back it with some facts please?
  8. Funky Munky - your in SthOz, and I can't help you with SA rules. Have you tried reading SA road rules/safety regulations?

T2 - Since you are in Vic, I'll assume you are meaning Vic rules (especially since you say you got pulled over). The information you give is only ½ correct. They're is a correct and legal way to lane split, and providing you use this method it is not illegal at all. If you read the Victorian Road Safety Act on overtaking you will see this ... as long as the cars are stationery, you pass on the right-hand side of the vehicle, do not cross the lane divider, and not do it at a dangerous speed it is completely legal.
  9. Thats what I've been told. But wouldn't it be at the prosecuting officers discression about what is a "dangerous speed"?
  10. That would be hilarious, on the Monash Carpark in the morning.

Copper: "Good morning sir, do you know why I have pulled you over?"
    Rider: "Was I going a bit fast?"
    Copper: "I was following you since Springvale Rd, you just lane split past 1,457 cars. I'll bring it down to 1,398, because you had your headlight on. Your offence today has attracted a fine of $244,650 and 2796 demerit points. The fine is payable within 28 days. Please leave your bike at the side of the road"
    Rider: "Aw geez."
  11. The SA Rider Safe instructors were asked about this when I recently did the course and they became very sheepish. Apparently it is illegal in any form but the instructor admitted that everyone does it(including himself) and it is never policed. Then again, this is SA and most road laws(except speeding) aren't policed. I reckon if there was ever an incident when lane splitting, you'd be gone for all money when the police turned up.
  12. Actually it's no longer in there Jase. I've just double checked as I recalled it being quite specific about that at one stage and read exactly as you've mentioned. It has however not been included in the current regs. Currently it's not shown to be legal or even illegal in Vic.
  13. having said that, it would be very easy for a cop to book you for it if he really wanted to - just ask Dazza:LOL: :LOL:
  14. True.

I'd imagine it would be good grounds for dragging that same cop through the courts. The regs used to state that sharing of lanes was permitted given the provisos that Jase mentioned. The fact that the regs no longer mention that, and also don't prohibit it, I would have thought would make it a permissable act.
  15. agreed. and a more enterprising govt may realise that explicitly legalising lane splitting would have a positive effect on traffic congestion and rider safety and the environment (less emissions) - we really need a few riders in parliament (complete with helmet hair in session :LOL: )
  16. the only place that I know lane splitting (filtering) is fully legal is in LA in the good old US of A, and yes it is for environmental reasons.
  17. It cant be too illegal in SA. Ever seen a cop bike waiting in the line up?
    I have followed them through myself and got a nod from him when I pulled up alongside.
  18. :LOL: Cops also never speed, drive on the wrong side of the road or use mobile phones while driving... :)

Don't fall into the trap of confusing legality with common sense :LOL: