Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

SA Govt crack down on free anonymous speech during elections

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Takamii, Feb 2, 2010.

1. http://www.news.com.au/technology/s...-internet-debate/story-e6frfro0-1225825750956

* Anonymous comments banned for SA election
    * Michael Atkinson says speech still free
    * Media says censorship is 'draconian'

SOUTH Australia has become one of the few states in the world to censor the internet.

The new law, which came into force on January 6, requires anyone making an online comment about next month's state election to publish their real name and postcode.

The law will affect anyone posting a comment on an election story on The Advertiser's AdelaideNow website, as well as other Australian news sites.

It could also apply to election comment made on social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter.

The law, which was pushed through last year as part of a raft of amendments to the Electoral Act and supported by the Liberal Party, also requires media organisations to keep a person's real name and full address on file for six months, and they face fines of $5000 if they do not hand over this information to the Electoral Commissioner.

Call me a tin hat wearer ( I am sure many will - but its better than calling me Susan for example) but it all starts of in little steps --- they are taking your freedom the same way you would eat an elephant - one bite at a time

Think I am crazy ? - okay, no problem, that is your free right to express it and I support that.

All I ask is that you study a bit of history to see how for example the Nazis took power - one bite of peoples freedom at a time.

2. The state that bought us Stephen Conroy AND Michael Atkinson is pissing on free speech more? There's a goddamned shock. Both of those twatwaffles should wash their mouths out with buckshot.

3. Moved to off topic as there is no motorcycle content therefore does not belong in the politics laws and insurance forum.

4. Thanks Smee -- I really need to pay more attention to the forum headings

5. Has anyone actually read the new law rather than relying on the Murdoch press to tell them the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about the actions of a Labor government?

Nope, neither have I, but my inclination is to trust ol' Rupe even less than I'd trust Rann and Co.

6. How about the ABC ?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/02/2807584.htm

7. Wow.
    If that were NSW, fliers would go up around my neighbourhood.

"I'll comment as anonymously as I damn well please on the next state election, and this little black duck sure won't be voting for Labor incompetards."

8. That you yah mule?
    Changed your username?

9. Yes sir -- the other one is a little long to quote :)

10. Yeah -- fight "the man"

11. yeh it's yaah mule. He got fed up with having his cyclist propaganda turned on its ear and so has fled in hiding behind the relative walls of his signature. Love it! Oh the delicious irony... the cyclists are to blame for him hiding his stance in his signature glass house.

:rofl:

Ah well, let the normality resume.

As for the OP topic, it's just another example of the beige cardi wearing set chipping away at the acceptable envelope.

12. Damn you got me dude -- cant put anything past you can I

guilty as charged

13. I have concerns on this legislation, but on the other hand, political parties have tried to poison their opponents campaigns in the past by malicious rumour and smear. Political ads are required to have the Written And Authorised by etc spiel to try and combat this. This would appear to be an extension of this. In the end it is ineffectual as discussion in other jurisdictions would be hard to enforce.

14. I'm against censorship but the reality of this is little different to what currently happens in practise. The law is applied only to newspapers and their offshoots. Editors currently pick and choose readers' comments to publish, routinely do not publish anonymous comments, and do publish comments designed to support or inflame their demographics, depending on what side of the bed they got out of that morning.

so yes, thin end of the wedge and all that, but in reality.... zero impact?

15. Yeah right! You guys have been taking it up the arse from NSW labor for years now, and still hardly a peep.

16. Before the thread degenerates into an anti-Labor rant...

They'll only be upset that they didn't think of it first. You don't really believe that any political party is happy about the internet?

Of course it's a useless law - someone will set up a blog overseas specifically for election comments and there's noting that can be done to prevent it.

17. The ABC newsroom is so under-resourced that the nearest they come to journalistic research these days is reading the Australian online and cutting and pasting the stories.

So no. Without going to the legislation itself, anyone commenting is almost bound to be under/misinformed.

18. THIS JUST IN
    Atkinson has backflipped under public pressure, and I quote
    "It may be humiliating for me, but that's politics in a democracy and I'll take my lumps. This way, no one need fear now that they are being censored on the net or in blogs, whether they blog under their own name or anonymously. The law will be repealed retrospectively."
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...-election-debate/story-e6frf7l6-1225826073800

19. Yay! What a stupid thin edge of the wedge idea in the first place.

20. The area I live in is pretty staunchly Liberal, but I vote in whatever way brings us closer to being a swinging seat.

I can't help if the majority of people in this state are idiots who will vote for whoever their parents voted for.