Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[SA] Favourite Rides/Routes

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by DJ666, May 9, 2012.

1. #1 DJ666, May 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Ok guys so I tried searching and was quite surprised I couldn't find this, hopefully maybe this can get stickied and I am sorry if I should have posted it elsewhere I just thought the roads section would be best

I was looking for a single topic where people can post their favourite rides in one place for people that don't know many places, are looking for ideas or just looking for somewhere new.

This includes preferably a google map link like Basket Range - http://g.co/maps/jd5nn and if applicable any good stops for grub, coffee or a chat along the way.

IF possible please try and rate the difficulty of the ride on a scale of 1-10 from a general point of view I know people have different ideas of difficult and easy but at least it will give people a rough idea.

2. Don't let me rain on your ride (I hope you get some replies), but the reason some people won't post up their favourite local roads here is that it can attract the attention of snoopers and spoilsports.
    Maybe ask them to PM them to you?
  3. Step 1) Head for the hills
    Step 2) Pick a direction and ride
    Step 3) Smile
    There are just soooooo many sweet roads. Just pick a small town you'd like to have lunch in (Lobethal, Birdwood, Hahndorf, McLaren Vale, Victor Harbour), head East until it gets curvy, then veer North or South as appropriate. I'm not being facetious, this is truly the way to enjoy you bike the best :) If you don't know the hills too well, you'll be very pleasantly surprised at how just every road is fantastic.
  4. Had to travel to Whyalla from Adelaide during the week. Was on a deadline so rode the highway directly there, but had the whole next day to travel back so I took Main North Road. I remembered reading how good a ride it was, and I'm glad I took the detour (and it only adds about 28kms to the distance). Starts with a bit of fun through Horrocks Pass then follows the Flinders Ranges and through to the Clare Valley. Better description than I could hope to pen is here. I didn't take the Port Germein Gorge Road as in the article, though, following the North Road all the way to Adelaide instead.

Pic from the ride...
    PS. Did around 800kms in two days on the 'ole Deauville. Thoroughly recommend it as a comfortable LAMS-approved tourer if you want to get out of the big smoke and virtually eliminates wind noise with the touring screen!