Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[SA] Driver beats speed fine

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by pro-pilot, Mar 8, 2008.

1. We need more of this!!

2. damn trigger happy cops :roll:
    pity all mine have been for 20-40 over :oops:
  3. It's interesting to note that the officers claimed that the driver was travelling 20kph faster than actual, when the driver was travelling at 102kph.

When you say 20-40 over, how do you really know? It could be 0-20 over (or even less given that the margin of error increases). Even if you believed it to be 20-40kph over because of your speedo, do you even know if your speedo is accurate? ie. How fast were you really going? Does even the driver ever really know?

Anyone watching the World SuperSport race at PI would've noted that Garry McCoy was occasionally being clocked at up to 20kph faster than the other bikes travelling down the straight, yet visually the leading bikes were pulling away from him, like they were travelling up to 10kph faster (or so).

Seems that the margin of error is at least 10%, possibly 15%, if not even more.

That can make it all rather scary if you're travelling at 124kph, which is a $165, 3-pointer offence in Victoria, but the radar picks you as travelling at 124x1.15 = 143kph, which is border-line hoon law vehicle impoundment and possibly being charged with driving at a dangerous speed.

There was a news piece a while back with someone demonstrating a police radar tracking a moving car, and found that it would spike and register speeds of up to 50% higher than the actual vehicle speed. If you're travelling along and like most people you spot an officer with a radar you'll jump on the brakes as an instinctive reaction, regardless of if you weren't even speeding at all, and the officer registers you at some high speed, they might interpet your sudden braking as an admission of guilt with respect to the displayed reading.

Everyone remembers the 155kph Datsun 120B from Western Ring Road story. The clapped out old clunker could only manage around 120kph peak in the hands of a race car driver in subsequent tests.

Some guy also managed to obtain through FOI, all the speed camera readings for a few static speed cameras around Sydney. Amongst the list of registered speeds were speeds of ~300, ~400, ~600, and over 900kph. Apparently the operators just toss out the most obviously wrong readings, and for everything else, they just take a punt on whether or not it's accurate and send out the fine if they think the reading is plausible. Doesn't matter if it's not actually true, it only has to be plausible.

Who knows? Is this what occurred with that guy on his Aprilia RSV1000 along Westall Rd last year, where he was clocked at 247kph by a roadside speed camera? He strenuously denied it, but eventually capitulated and entered a guilty plea more because there was no available legal recourse to combat the charge, (such has been legislated out of existence) and he apparently couldn't afford the expert witness fees in the event of the decision going against him. Economic rationalism at its savage worst, eh?
  4. to add to this can anyone tell me how and when the police radar guns are reset for the next unlikely ciminal to aparently speed down the road. or how long the speed stays on the screen on the back of the gun.

for any others traveling along the new dandenong bypass at night they reverse down the on-ramps to the new freeway completely against all road rules. also what would be picked up first mini-van or rider.
  5. ...in new zealand

in NZ, when a cop clock you over the speed limit, you have every right to ask whether he/she had her equipment calibrated THAT day. if he/she failed to do so, bye bye officer, have a nice day.
  6. Lucky they caught you as you were slowing down hey, Joel ???
  7. is there a fifth amendment in australia? :-w
  8. this kind of stuff seems to happen every now and then in one state or another. Every single time the news reports say something like "...in a case which is sure to have ramifications for police in all states" and every single time, nothing happens and life goes on as per normal.
  9. That's because the police will drop a case before they can lose it, so no precedent is set.

That alone should be enough to raise massive suspicions.

I don't want GPS tracking in my vehicle...

:arrow: Well if you're not doing anything wrong, what do you have to worry about???

Fine: - why don't the police pursue cases like this if they don't have to worry their evidence is incorrect?
  10. because they know i'll bishlap them.
  11. Nope. But there is a right of silence where to speak would lead to self incrimination. (I'd use it here.... :p )
  12. Bah, GPS. :roll: I use 2 GPS recievers in the 4x4 when doing competitions, and they regulary show spikes in the speed of up to 160km/h. (Yeah, like that's going to happen normally, let alone when we're in low range :LOL: ).

We use 2 receivers because they regularly show us doing different speeds, and in different places. I can prove that GPS isn't an infallible logging device.
  13. GPS systems have a definite margin of error. They can be "out" by several meters.
    Military grade systems are much more accurate, but still not "exact".
    Because of this using a GPS will never give a 100% accurate measure.
    Spikes as described here are probably caused by the GPS losing the signal, regaining it, and then recalculating where it is. (Something they do 100's of times a minute.)