Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Nov 11, 2010.

1. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...y-the-high-court/story-e6frf7l6-1225951770952

2. Just stupid. I'm glad VIC did not jump on this bandwagon.

How is the crimes the bike gangs do any dif to other peoples crimes.

This country is run by morons.
  3. I think that's good news from a civil liberties and fairness point of view.

I would probably be more comfortable if this matter was in the Off-Topic section though. IMO it's not a good look for non-patch motorcyclists to be celebrating it as a win for motorcycling. Which it isn't, necessarily.

(Not trying to put those words in your mouth, Rob.)
  4. Smee can move it if he thinks it doesn't fit motorcycle politics...

Sorry, but I am celebrating because to my mind it seemed like it was going to be a small leap from anti OMC affiliation laws to anti-whateverthefeckthebeigebrigadewant laws... first on the list being any group ride of motorbikes "terrorising" the beige grannies on the roads... ok, drawing a long bow... maybe it's a medium sized leap.
  5. Hah! Stitch that Mr Shrill Talkback Radio Nutter Rann :LOL:.

Disagree I'm afraid. A win in a civil liberties case is a win for all of us. Hell, it's a win for all Australia if most did but realise it.
  6. Totally support the notion it is a win for civil liberties (as I said). I just prefer to celebrate as a citizen rather than as a motorcyclist, that's all.
  7. Personally, I'm celebrating as both.
  8. The telegraph has included John Rau's responce:

In its judgment today, the High Court ruled against provisions in the SA legislation which allowed for control orders to be slapped on gang members without a court having the power to see or review the evidence relied on.

Rau, "And if I were the people involved in organised crime in South Australia today I'd hold off popping the champagne corks because we are going to respond to this, and they might find there are new tools in the kit that the police have when we do respond."

What an arrogant Carnt he is.
  9. If they did have new tools in their kit they would have used them.

I always figured these draconian laws were just an extreme measure to make up for years of ineffective policing and shithouse intelligence gathering.
  10. And there was me thinking it was an exercise in garnering the votes of dimwit talkback radio callers :D.

Cynical? Me?
  11. But this isn't just a win for motorcyclists. Its a win for all those other groups that can be considered less than socially desirable...brownies, girl guides, mothers clubs, cubs, boy scouts, pony clubs......any club where people congregate for the purpose of enjoying each others company and have a common interest.
  12. All I'm saying is that the principle has nothing to do with motorcycling (which you also seem to be saying). Since I have no opinion on the individuals involved I'll leave it at that.
  13. Hi guys and gals,

As a citizen of this democratic country I applaud the High Court's ruling.

Its one thing to suspect a group of people of criminal conduct. Its quite another thing to restrict their basic freedoms based on that belief. I always thought that if a person/group was suspected of criminal conduct, then the onus was on the state to gather the required evidence, present it to an impartial court of law and allow 12 peers to decide if the evidence bore out the belief. That is what I think is a fair system.

This unconstitutional SA legistation allowed the opposite. It allowed a restriction of basic human rights and freedoms on the basis of nothing more than an unproven belief.

That type of lazy, bad law making is exactly why Australians went to Europe and died fighting the fascists in WW2.

You know - if the police force can't make a case against the bikies then too bad! Get smarter and try again next time! Lift your game!!

PS - I am not a bikie, I don't even know one!

14. It would be start when the quality press stop referring to it as 'anti bikie' laws and use the correct 'anti association' laws. Then perhaps the middle ground that makes up the vast majority of the people in this country will come to see them for what they are.
  15. It's somewhat amusing that an OMC can pay for a High Court court case.
  16. <post removed>
  17. What is this "quality press" of which you speak?

A month in the UK earlier this year reminded me that the Australian media is worthy of a banana republic.
  18. on second thought I might go to that swingers party after all!