Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

(SA) Advanced test details

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by KevS, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Hi, My wife got her L's a couple of months ago and has been riding around a fair bit and is getting more confident and is now wanting to go do the P's or advanced course and I was just wondering if anyone can give me the details of what exactly is involved as she would like to go and practice the exercises before she goes and does the test for real.

2. Mate I booked in for the advanced as soon as i'd done my L's, it was just as easy as the L's. Tell her just to do it!
  3. Is it really as easy as the L's? she was getting all worried and wanting to practice the actual exercises that she needs to do but if thats the case I will get her to go book it.
  4. seriously mate, I had very little practise, like 30 mins of actual riding and scored 100% on the final test.

They go through all the exercises with you again anyway and give you plenty of practise on the day.

Good luck to the missus
  5. Hi,

I just completed my L's course on the weekend, and afterwards, the instructor showed us around the advanced course.

There are 5 exercises, 4 of them in 1st gear, its all slow manoeuvring. The first exercise is driving through an S bend marked on the ground without touching, or going outside the lines, the second test is completing a figure 8 in a box the size of 4 car parks, the third is weaving in and out of markers, the fourth is riding a straight line very slowly, you need to spend 15 seconds going down this short marked path (balance test), the fifth test is braking, you get up to a certain speed, instructor drops his/her hand, and you slam on the brakes to stop inside a certain distance.

You get 20 points to begin with, each time you touch a line or marker you lose 5 points, if you put a foot down you lose between 3-5 points depending how serious it is, if you do the straight line in under 15 seconds you lose points. The most you can lose on any one exercise is 10 points, except the last exercise, fail the braking exercise and you earn yourself 21 points (instant fail, fair enough, if you can't stop, you shouldn't be riding!)

Apparently they send you out information on it when you book it in, so your wife could always book it in advance, get the info, and go down and practice. If you want I can meet you at the Oaklands Park one if you would like as the exercises are still fresh in my mind and I can show you the markings to follow. If your wife can master slow manoeuvring, she should be fine, I'm definitely going to need a bit of practice first though!

Hope this has helped,

6. I did my advanced test at the end of November. I wouldn't say I was a "confident" rider as such - happily jump on the bike and ride to work, but that was pretty much all I'd done to be honest. I went to Oaklands Park once, just to see everything again once I'd had some time on the bike and I spent probably a couple of hours trying to give everything a go. The rest was basically practicing really slow riding and doing really tight turns (pretty much learnt countersteering and how far I could go with confidence in a circled).

Your wife will learn more than enough at the advanced course, along with her normal riding. They teach you everything you need to know, almost as if you'd walked straight out of the basic course. Their only real assumption is that you can still keep a bike upright and that you know how to turn a corner.

The actual test itself is:

slow S curve - they'll show you the ideal path. don't touch a line or put a foot down because that's 5 points a go, to a max of 10 points

2 x u-turn (figure 8) - this is something you get to practice and you get a lot of tips and hints during the course. Don't panic about this one, it's really not worth it because you can completely arse it as long as you do ok in pretty much everything else. Don't put a foot down and don't touch the line; once again, 5 points each for any of those, to a max of 10 points

cat's eye weaving - weave around the cat's eyes between the lines, probably for about 10-15m. Same as you did in the basic course, no big deal and once again they'll show you where you should be ideally. In this one, don't put a foot down, don't touch a line, don't run over a cat's eye (watch the back wheel!!) because each of those is 5 points up to a max of 10 points

Slow ride - ride slowly between the lines, preferably in 15 seconds or more. Riding faster only loses you, I think 3 points per few seconds slower so you're better off going a bit faster if you're wobbling, rather than touching a line or putting a foot down (5 points each). The instructors will count the time with you and you basically want to aim for a slow walk/dawdle pace. Not as hard as it seems, just keep your head up!! Max of 10 points for this one if you arse it.

11m brake - ride up to 30km/h and brake when advised. Come to a complete stop, left foot down first and in first gear, within 11m. There's markers on the side of the of the rectangle part of the course in pairs and they're 11m apart. Don't, under any circumstances watch those when you ride, watch for the hand telling you when to stop and don't, under any circumstances, put yourself in a more difficult situation by doing more than 30km/h. Not sure off the top of my head what you lose for not being in first and not putting your left foot down first, but if you don't brake in 11m, you lose 21 points and you're invited back to try again. It's really not hard, so don't stress about it, just concentrate on stopping as quickly and safely as you can, in first gear, with your left foot down first.

All in all, excluding the braking exercise, you can completely duff two of the obstacles and still pass (10 points each for a max of 20 points for two duffed obstacles). It's only when you lose points on the third, or if you stuff up the braking that you'll lose more than 20 points (21 and over is a fail).

Ultimately, if you've been on the road and you're not such a scaredy pants that you make drastic mistakes, you *will* be fine, with or without practice.
  7. As a side note, also happy to drop down and help your wife out. PM me if you're keen and we'll sort something out :)
  8. Thank you for the information that was excellent, I will have a talk to the wife and she may very well take you up on your offer to show her the course, thanks again
  9. Kev

Hi, I'm a RiderSafe instructor. The L2 assessment is as above. The Oaklands Park venue has the assessment permanently set up on both ranges, so I'd suggest going down to practice. You can do this whenever students aren't on the ranges.

Despite the impressions, not everyone passes. Last course I did 2 din't get through. I'm not saying that to make your wife panic, just to reinforce the importance of practicing.

The instructors on the course will do their best to assist your wife to succeed; however, in the end its up to her.

My tips would be: keep your head up in the activities - look where you want to go; really practice the use of clutch and rear brake to control low speed manouvering (steady throttle); RELAX - its not the end of the world if you don't get though first time.

Please note the above are my comments as a rider and not as a Ridersafe instructor. Good luck. If she has been practicnig there is no reason why she can't get through, after all its designed to assess the skills of a novice, not an expert!
  10. Thanks Duanne, my wife did her L's out at St Agnes and I wasnt even aware you could go to the Range at Oaklands park and practice, she has been riding around a fair bit and is feeling alot more confident so I think we will take your advice and come down to oaklands park so she can practice.

11. Where exactly is the Oaklands Park range?
  12. The Oaklands Park range is on 237 Oaklands Road in Oaklands Park. It is on the Southern side of the road, next to the Warradale Army Barracks, between Marion and Morphett Roads.

If you go to http://www.whereis.com.au and search for Oaklands Road in Oaklands Park, it basically shows you exactly where it is. If you then click on the photo tab instead of the map tab, and zoom in on the satellite image, you can see the line markings on the practice areas, so you can tell what exercises you need to do for the advanced course! It looks like the photo was taken on a day when a course was running, I can make out 8 bikes lined up at the start of the course too!

13. Thanks. Looks just like the St. Agnes range, IIRC.

Reasonable drive from my place (Stonyfell). Pretty direct route though - Greenhill, South Rd and Daws Rd.
  14. ++++1!

:p most of the work is done if you follow this advice. In the same breath, don't be too confident because that's a sure invitation for murphy's law.
  15. Thanks Emsie, I printed your instructions out and we actually just went for a ride down to Oaklands park and had a chat to the intructors and they were excellent and extremely helpful, one of them actually showed us the excercises and I think it was his lunch break so you cant ask for any more than that, anyway she is now happy to keep going back and practicing it just got a bit hot today so we didnt stay very long and didnt get much practice in but we will keep going back.
  16. That's great! The instructors are actually really awesome - nice guys and really go out of their way to give you the best preparation for the tests :)

Your wife can probably do the bulk of the practice in a carpark somewhere now. Practice riding really really slowly (head up!!), practice weaving around rocks/sticks in a straight line, and practice tight circles. Even if she's not planning on doing the test on her bike, being comfortable with countersteering and getting a savage lean at low speeds will help her no end in the figure 8 exercise.
  17. Yep I guess she could but she actually enjoyed the ride down to Oaklands Park its only like 25min so thats all good practice, I tried to punt my Fireblade around the course and that was an experience I dont really think its possible to get my bike around it but was fun trying, the instructor actually told me he didnt think it possible on my bike but Im gonna keep trying next time anyway cant hurt its all good fun
  18. I remember the instructor telling us that when you sit for your advanced test and do all of the slow exercises, try not to do them on a sports bike, as they just don't have the same manoueverability (something about having to turn from bump-stop to bump-stop on the handlebars not being too easy), and the big cruisers are also a bit large to be as manoueverable. The instructor told us that something like the CB250's that they have there would be ideal for getting through the tight stuff! Nice and upright, and fairly easy to turn and such.
  19. yes sports bikes have much larger turning circle, the little CBF250's are ideal, my wifes ZZR250 is really hard to get through some of the slow tight stuff but she is actually going to do the test on their CBF250's
  20. I read somewhere on here that it's actually really difficult/impossible to even do it on my bike (vtr250) which explained why, no matter what I did, I couldn't get through the course on my bike but I had no problems after all that practice trying so hard on mine ;) I ended up doing the start of my course on a cb250 and the bulk of the course + the test on a cbf250. Easy peasy if you're used to trying so hard on a bike you can't really do it on ;)