Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

SA Advanced Ridersafe Course

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Trisha14, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Hi all

I will be going for my Advance Ridersafe course in the next couple of months and am after some advice from those South Aussies that have done it. Eg did you use your own bike for the course, tips for each exercise etc etc.

Thanks in advance

2. Yeah I found that too - thanks for posting it though its much appreciated.

When you doing the advanced??

How long have you been on your L's for?
  3. I did my Advanced course on Saturday, managed to get a cancellation and I jumped at it. I wasn't too confident I have to say. I did ride for a few years when I was younger, but not in the past 5 years.

I found the day very, very hard. I had enough riding experience to pass 3 of the tests with flying colours, but reached my maximum of 10 penalty points on both the figure of 8 and the curvy line. What I found surprising was that there was only one attempt at each test. We did do some exercises based on the tests during the day, but that doesn't really compare to practising some of the tests themselves.

Word of advise: definitely try and get down to the centre after hours to practice the 4 tests they have out in paint on the ground. They are 4 slow-riding tests, the ability to control your bike when going at a walking speed is a must. You will NOT get the chance to practice these specific tests on the day, so definitely try them on your own time for a couple of nights.

I got a lot out of the course, both basic and advanced. Its great that this kind of course has been put into place, there is nothing like it in the country I come from (and we have a much higher number of motorcycle related deaths at home as a result).

To sum up, get a lot of practice riding around to get comfortable with your bike, spend even more time practicing your slow-riding technique (and your control of the bike while going slow), and try and get down to the centre to practice the tests in the evenings when they are closed. I know I plan on going down to the centre to practise my slow riding skills on the 2 I failed in the next few months, just to be happy with my own control of the machine.

I did pass, now time to buy a bike :)

I wish you the best of luck.
  4. find someone with a postie bike and borrow it for the day...its cheating but hey a pass is a pass ;)
  5. I went down to the course on my bike a couple of times before the advanced. It confirmed 1 thing: I had no hope in hell of passing if i used my bike.

I couldn't make my bike turn the tight circles it needs to, even if i got off and pushed it.

So, I've never ridden a zzr before, but if its even remotely similar in turn circle, then I wouldn't advise doing the test on it.

Apparently the chook-chasers (dirt bikes) are the best to use because they have excellent turn circles and high stability at low speeds.

I used one of their CB250s and passed, barely. Mainly because i've had very little practise at tight cornering at slow speeds on my zxr.
  6. I think I'd have a bit of trouble touching the ground on one of the dirt bikes... i'm only 5'5".

:shock: :shock: :shock:
  7. Yeah, everyone i talked to said use their bikes, and preferablly the dirt bikes.... You shouldn't have an issue if you've been riding on the road for 4 months or so they reckon....
  8. Another piece of advice is to practise riding very very slowly. The slower the better.

All but 1 of the test items rely upon turning the bike through some quite tight turns at quite low speeds.

Think of doing a figure 8 in box not much bigger than a single car park space and you get the idea.

Again, Slower is better in the test. So if you can control the bike and steer fairly well at about walking pace, then you'll do fine.