Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

'S' type linked corners

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Oldmaid, Nov 16, 2015.

1. So those Oxley veterans and other corner fiends that abound out there in NR cyber land, any tips on cornering through those wonderful continuous 'S' corners between Mt Seaview onwards please?

I get the giggles when I ride them. Depending on my speed as well, I have found what I tend to do is actually look in a straight line through them (sort of) and then countersteer or almost flick the bars, but have found that I want to also shift my weight (ok read bulk here) over onto the inside pegs as well.
    Feels pretty good to me but I hope I am not introducing a superfluous action that will become a "bad habit."

Thoughts?

I mean if you wanted to be really boring, you could get your set square out and ride in a dead straight line through these snakey little 'S' curves but why would you? At the end of these sets, is a tightish banking right hander before you go up and through the next lot of 'S' corners. The vision is reasonable but no shoulder on either side of the road to play with if needed.

I just love them. Plus some parts have been recently been resurfaced and are smoother than a baby's bum.
    Yeee har!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Try to resist the urge to straighten those corners. After all we seek out windy roads for a reason. And be careful of oncomings outside the sight line - pretty much every ute or 4wd (and some cars) I saw on the windy sections on the weekend were crossing the centre line in bends - you don't want to suddenly meet them while you're out wide. But it is tempting to see the straight line and open the throttle :sneaky:

I think when you're frequently changing direction it can be kind of disruptive and you can smooth this out with changes to your weight distribution. I also do think you can 'trim' the rear of the bike with moving your rear on the seat though this may possibly be taking effect through the pegs or the bars. But a bike is about balancing forces and it is all connected. you can't move around on the bike and keep your weight on the seat - you have to get weight on the pegs.

I could be wrong, It may be my bad habit :bored: I learnt in the days when you got your Ps provided you made it back to the registry without visble gravel rash. And I'm riding very much slower now after a long layoff than I was when I was young, concentrating more on smoothness and precise bike placement than speed.

But I was thinking through some of this riding Granya yesterday, The previous pass, despite its 30 kmh hairpins was quite rideable in the broomstick up the backside posture BMW riders and police tend to use. But Granya got serious (and narrow) and demanded a more active approach.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hi OldmaidOldmaid -- sounds like you're enjoying the Oxley. ;)

I've always tended to steer the bike through these kinds of bends in a fairly conventional way. It's useful to get a bit of space away from the centreline, as like paulbrpaulbr said a lot of cars do tend to have 'issues' (the consequences of which I have personal experience!). It can be a fairly rapid change of direction (and therefore fun!), so the main thing is being smooth with the steering input and potentially shifting some weight to the inside of the curve. I do this through the pegs, basically you use your legs to take some of your weight so that there's less going through the seat. You will have a lot going on through these kinds of bends, so getting the braking and gears right before going into them will help ease the 'cognitive load.' Also, if you know there's a right-hander up ahead you can plan your line to set up for it as well.

The main thing here is to be smooth, start at a lower speed and gradually work your way up as you become more comfortable.

Hope that helps, hoping to be up on the Oxley before too much longer -- to see if what I just said is right. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Straightline them cause you can. It does drivers heads in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to remember what you were taught at pre-learners.....lower part of your body firmly "gripping" the motorbike, upper part of body free to allow you to point your nose (or better still, your chin) where you want to go.

This will give you a wee bit of weight transfer as your shoulders move around to the direction you want/need.... and the countersteering just "magically" happens.

Do one corner at a time.... don't get carried away with straight lining..... it isn't a race track.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The more upright you have your bike the safer it is. Hit gravel leaned over you're basically stuffed. Bike upright you can get through. If something happens you can brake harder if the bike is upright. And you can go faster.

7. twistngotwistngo ha! I always take notice of the fine print :whistle:
    Will be interesting cornering through there with an almost 50kg heavier bike not to mention 3x the grunt of what I am used to...
    Woooohooo!