Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC RWC w/ aftermarket exhaust

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Archie, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Hi there,

I'm getting a RWC done on my bike later this week and it should all be fine, but I have do an aftermarket TIngate exhaust. It's not that loud - 87 decibels.

Do they want stock exhausts to pass RWC? I live in Victoria.

Thanks, guys!

2. Most places, if your bike won't pass RWC they'll give you a couple of days to make the necessary changes and come back for a second look-over free of charge.

So my advice is just rock up with the aftermarket and see how you go.
    (You could always call ahead of time to check also)

3. According to VicRoads, a bike isn't LAMS approved any more if it's had any modifications which *may* increase its power to weight ratio. I think the common opinion is that an aftermarket exhaust technically counts as a potential power increase. If you have the original exhaust, it might be a good idea to replace it just in case.

4. I agree, if a bike is modified it may be classed as non-LAMs.. take a stocky exhaust to the RWC

5. Put an original/stock exhaust on for the RWC, and then put the aftermarket one on after you register it. Like how 99% of most people do.

6. 87 db is legal so there is no reason it shouldn't pass.

7. It should pass EPA regulations, but not LAMS regulations. As the bike is registered as LAMS, I suspect they would be able to fail it if it's been modified so it doesn't meet LAMS restrictions.

8. In nsw I would bet any $ that no pink slip inspector is going to try and take a bikes Lams rating off it just because it's got a different exhaust on it that's not illegally loud. Would take a real prick of an inspector to try that crap

9. Is it really 87db? That's quite a bit less than stock.

Would definitely breach the power to weight rule since it removes weight.