Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1. hi.
    im looking at an RVF400. my brother dropped my CBR250RR and i have a feeling that it is gonna be called a right off and a pay-out. The RVF400 struck me as they apparently handle like a dream, have a few more horses, but are a pain in the arse to perform engine work on. They sound fun though, and are LAMS legal.

Can anyone tell me anything else about them and what would be a decent price range for them. Also i was looking at the hornet 250. hornet 600 frame with a cbr250rr engine. expensive for what they are though. any other really fun suggestions for learner legal bikes would be great too.

2. ask The Yak.... (or roarin' from Melbourne)
  3. A mate owns one and says they're really hot to sit on in stop and go traffic. Great track bike though.
  4. Theres a difference between a decent price, and what you would have to pay for one.

Theres a fair bit of a premium on them because they just make it into lams, so are therefore the "fastest" learner legal bikes (regardless of whether or not that is true)

Sumoto asks for nearly $10000 for them.

IMO you are better off (if you can) wait and get a vfr400 if you like the concept of the bike. Much cheaper, and similar performance.
  5. Seriously wicked little bikes. V4 engines rule and there's nothing I've ridden yet that'll out-handle one. Two thumbs up.
  6. Best lams bike in OZ. Seriously overpriced tho.
  7. Get one.
  8. As most others have stated, they are a more expensive option than most other bikes in this capacity range. I guess it all depends how bad you want one as to how much you will pay for one.
    But for corner carving, they will still run as hard as anything else out there, bar none. They seem to have the typical Honda trait of possessing a totallly confidence inspiring front end which provides an unbelievable amount of feedback. Almost like holding the front axle in your hands :grin:
    Engines are bulletproof as long as the oil is changed & general servicing is done when due. My own VFR 400 has now done just on or over 80,000kms of rev limiter & redline abusing fun & is still running as well as when I bought it at just on 10,000kms. Thats if the speedo is to be believed so who really knows how many kays it's done?
    I go riding with a group of litre+ sportbike riders that consists of a few ex racers & experienced riders & have no trouble keeping up & actually harrassing/passing them on the tighter twisty roads they frequent.
    Which brings me to another point. Plenty of people seem to dismiss them as a learner bike or something that is only a stepping stone to a "real" bike ie 1000cc's plus, where in reality they are plenty capable of holding their own against anything out there -as far as spirited street riding goes anyway. Plenty good enough to use any sport tyre out there to the limit -which is about the limiting factor anyway.
    Sort of getting side tracked here, but alledgedly when the late Joey Dunlop was alive he used to spend a fair amount of time in Queensland. Guess what his personal choice of 2 wheeled conveyance was? Actually it was a bit more than alledged because when he died the bike was sold & I think it ended up back in England.
    But that's enough from me. Cheers.
  9. they lack ground clearance relative to what they are capable of. They also need to have the tits revved off em to go anywhere in a hurry. No different to any other 4 banger. They were also built at a time when build quality and finish were second to none. And in all reality, they can be very quickly made un learner legal. In terms of their power.
  10. Ithink they are a fantastic litle machine, but as Dom said, you have to give them a wringing to get them moving. They handle like on rails though.

When Yak and I go for a run, the only advantage I have is horsepower, he can corner on anything except wide open or sweeping faster than I can.
  11. Where can I find a RVF400 in Sydney?
  12. a motorcycle store
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Action motorcycles in parramatta is selling a freshly imported one for 10 grand. There are a few dealers around liverpool/ingleburn selling them for around 8. all private sales at the moment tend to be in the country, and priced around the 8 grand mark. they may be worth a llook. the best ones in sydney tend to get sold very quickly. id say save enough money and pick one up quickly. ive been looking at the market for ahwhile now :)
  14. why don't you look for 2nd hand? plenty of RVFs selling for $5-7k in Sydney
  15. The RVF400 is the ultimate LAMS bike available. They will keep up with 600's and 1000's on twisty roads and handle beautifully
    We have two of them. They are easy to service and we have never had problems getting parts. In fact there are both for sale at the moment but we live in Melbourne
  16. JayC i am considering coming down to see your hubbys bike, but im concerned about getting it registered in nsw (in case i need stock exhaust etc). Lemontree, if you can find a rvf400 in nsw for 5-7k, please show me the way, ive been searching everywhere and havent found one below $7500
  17. Hi J12
    We still have the original pipe that was on it when we bought it, we kept just in case we got a notice from the EPA. It is a yoshi pipe but still a lot quieter than the Megacycle pipe
    If you were interest we could give you this pipe, but I would recommend changing it back as it has been dyno'ed to the Megacycle pipe
  18. Hi J12
    Have PM'ed you
  19. I recently had a vfr 400 and thinking about picking up an rvf. Undecided because my vfr had a whole host of electrical problems when I had it including needing a new sub loom and ask other sorts of junk. Is this typical of the 400 v4's?