Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

RVF400 first bike dilemma

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by LatsMan, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Hi folks, am about to join the world of the illustrious motorcycle rider - happy to have found such a great site as this.

I've always wanted a bike, never found the time nor cashola to purchase it - but really they're just excuses right??!!

Anyways, im 41, 179cm, 75kg. Ive read all of the threads on this great site re: GS500 vs VTR250 vs CBR250, naked vs fairing, dropping and repairs, etc, etc.

After sitting on a heap of bikes as i have seen you advise, and reading your comments and reviews of all the various bikes, i have landed on an RVF400, in 2nd place CBR250rr. The RVF400 is simply pants-warming stunning, best looking bike ive almost ever seen, appreciate its more expensive, 20 yo, etc, but they hold their value better than most others, and get amazing reviews from this site - ive read just about every article on this site on em. And yes, i know going on to L's aint about looks or anything of the like, but hey, im shallow and vein and like to look good - joking!!

I've sat on a few over the past days but they just feel massive, feel like they'd be hard to ride as a beginner, really almost too big and awkward to handle, and to be honest a tad scary - and no, I dont carry a handbag (I race karts so love speed as much as the next guy). The CBR250RR just feels like it would be easier to ride, easier to handle, and generally 'feel' less big and easier to ride safely on L's as someone who's ridden only a couple of dirt bikes and pocket bikes in his life - is that even accurate??

So my dilemma - do I man up and get the RVF400 and take it easy, learn slowly riding around the carparks and backstreets initially and grow into it?? Or, do I get the smaller CBR250RR and get used to a bike, grow into it more quickly and then upgrade to an RVF400 in 3-6 months. And yeah, i know, the VTR250 or Ninja250 are probably better bets, but i cant do it...

Any thoughts are appreciated...

2. Tough one mate. I found that a bigger and heavier bike can feel good once u get moving and it's size and weight disappears. I say get the rvf. U may have to hire a smaller bike to pass your p test though.
  3. If this was the welcome lounge I'd say welcome, so instead, remember the bike is only heavy when it's lying down, buy the 400, just don't lie it down.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bahahaha, as much as I'd love to lay down with it Mcsenna, sexy as it is and all, it's not high on my list of things to do at this point... seriously, appreciate the response, thanks mate...

Base jumper - thanks mate, I was literally just reading a couple of threads about people hiring a bike to do their Ps due to their bigger LAMS bike... interesting. Thx mate for the insight...
  5. Remind yourself how big it feals after wrapping yourself around one for 8 hours straight. They are tiny bikes.
  6. basejumper makes a good point. The rvf really isn't a good bike for doing the MOST on.

What would be really impressive is if you get the RVF and then work seriously hard to be able to do the MOST on it and not rent a "sensible" bike for the test.
  7. easy decision; the RVF400. You'll grow tied of the CBR250 quickly and the VTR250 even quicker
  8. Come sit on my R1150RT or K1600GT and you will know what a big bike is.

The RVF is an excellent machine, I have ridden thousands of km with one. They are not too bad for a little bike on longer rides comfort wise either, we toured many a time for a few days and the rider never complained.
  9. Goodness me, an easy choice: buy the RVF, you'll be so high on the sounds and the fury you won't notice the weight!
  10. Thanks gang for all the replies.

Tweet I say on a 1000 today, and yes, they are massive...

So I know the RVF a is the better bike by far, more concerned with my ability to physically handle it early days...

I did a lil side by side on the RVF vs CBR - from memory it was 10mm diff on wheelbase, length and width bw the two, 100mm on seat height, 20kg weight and the power were the obvious big diffs.

So maybe the concerns are all in my mind... maybe I'll just start taking my medication again.

I've found a stunning RVF - some concerns on cost of replacing rear disc which has scoring which I think will need replacing either for RWC or safety, otherwise I could end up putting a deposit on v.shortly...
  11. Make a few calls and find out how much to have the disc replaced. Then you start negotiating, at a minimum that amount comes off the asking price. Remember nothing speaks louder than the green folding stuff, By the way where are you located?
  12. I wouldn't worry about the rear disc personally unless its really bad. If the brake works ok then I would prob leave it. I hardly ever use my back break in reality.
  13. Do you still ride with Yak?
  14. Sadly not. He lives on the other side of Sydney now and we are both much busier than we used to be. I'd like to though ;)
  15. That's all very well for you to say, but not everyone can be a famous hero.

If Latsman does get the RVF, I'd really like to hear that he put in the effort and managed to do his MOST on it.

It just looks.....err...sort of wimpy, when someone shows up to do their test on a really butch wee bike, and then wants to rent a sensible one for the test.
  16. So LatsManLatsMan , did you do yourself a favour and buy one of these awesome machines?
  17. Go for the RVF if you can afford it. You'll get used to the weight after a few rides and you'll be wondering what you were worried about. It might seem intimidating now but in reality you don't feel the weight much at all because the tyres take all the weight. All you're doing is balancing it on the tyres. Bigger heavier bikes are often easier to ride in terms of how heavy they feel because they have much wider tyres. The only time you feel the weight is when you hit the brakes hard and you don't get your foot down fast enough and it leans over too far, then you have to have the strength to hold it up or you'll drop it and the other time you feel the weight is when you're pushing it around. Other than that you don't really feel the weight. Good luck with what ever you go for!
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Well technically you aren't balancing once you are moving. Gyroscopic precedence is what keeps the bike up. Fat tyres have nothing to do with it.
  19. I meant when stopped not when moving. Thought that was fairly obvious.
  20. So this phrase is in relation to when they are stopped?