Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

rvf400.... battery hooked up backwards

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by yoda2026, May 22, 2011.

1. i recently purchased a rvf400

the battery was flat and i was changing it late at night

and i hooked it up backwards(there was a spark and then it was disconnected) :S... and the key was never turned on

now the battery has been hooked up the right way
    nothing seams to work... no lights no nothing
    i replaced a 10a fuse that was blown... im not sure what its connected 2

does anyone have any ideas
    does this bike have a main fuse or just the fuse box in the boot
    considering the keys where turned off do u think the cdi and electrics will be fine

2. There is a main fuse of 30 amp according to the wiring diagram. It seems to be in the same box as the starter solenoid. I can't be more specific I don't know this model personally.

You are unlikely to have damaged the ICM/CDI as they are generally designed to be self protecting in reverse polarity connections. You may have damaged the regulator so once you replace the main fuse check the voltage across the battery when reving the engine. It should be in the high 13.5 - 14.5 range.

Get some red and black electrical tape and wrap the ends of the battery connection wire accordingly as a visual clue is a good trick for future reference.

Good Luck

Attached Files:

3. thanks heaps
    does anyone know where to get a copy of the service manual in English

i keep finding them in Japanese :(
  4. You may have to buy one, Haynes publish one and it is a worthwhile investment to have.