Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

rusty forks - VTR

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by nibor, Dec 4, 2007.

1. hey everyone, just got my new bike :grin:
    finally picked her up this morning.

aaanyway, when i inspected her, i noticed a lil bit of rust forming on the forks, and also the chain was rusty. i can easily clean/replace the chain, but im not replacing forks.

its just a few specks beginning, above the bottom tripleclamp, and also around where the forks meet the op of the bottom tripleclamp. the previous owner seems to have done nothing to the bike except have it serviced at 1500km and 6000km. not even oil the chain :shock: :? i asked him. claims to have checked the tension, but hey why not oil it while your there lol. he leaves it outside not sheltered/covered when working, but it was garaged when home, hence the rust forming a lil.

the bloke at the local honda shop said something about suggesting dropping the forks out and cleaning it up, but i have no idea really. and very limited tools etc.

any ideas on what i need to do to remove the rust? will it just wash off, or needs a good buff n polish? and droppnig the forks to remove the rust where the forks meet the tripleclamp?

anyone wanna help me do this? :grin:

haha cheers guys :)
  2. A gentle buff with some steel wool should do the trick!

3. I wouldnt touch it with steel wool.

Vehicle painters use it to clean bare metal up prior to painting to remove slight rust.
  4. Or even a bit of Brasso on a cotton bud. If it's what I had on mine it's nothing to worry about and it should come off pretty easy.
  5. Brasso on steel wool is magic for hard chrome. Unless you go nuts, the chroming on the fork legs is SO much harder than the steel wool you will not scratch it. The abrasive in Brasso is very soft too and the liquid helps to lubricate the process.

I have done this trick on a Harley that was left in the weather for years and it worked a treat. If you have deep pitting there is nothing that can be done to fill it and the steel below will remain exposed. In this situation, some car wax will help seal it from moisture and you will have to reapply it periodically.
  6. nah i dont think anything is deeply pitted or anything. juts just tiny flecks beggining to appear. and i want to get on top of it nice and quickly.

i'll get a pic up tomorrow before work or something.

cheers guys :)
  7. Get some autosol metal polish.
  8. From your description I'd go with WD-40...should remove it easily.
  9. If it really is just superficial then just about anything on plain paper will work - kero, RP7/WD40, shellite, turps... just need a lubricant to carry away the oxide as it comes off.
  10. hmmm...I think you left something out. Do you just spray it on and watch the rust disappear?? ;-)

Use a nylon scouring pad - buy a pack at the supermarket, but choose quality ones.

Spray the WD on the rust affected areas and then rub with the scouring pad. You will see it get all brown and yucky, but keep going!

Trevor G

PS Had to do the same job on our VTR250...the rust comes back after a while. We have it on the lower crown more than anywhere else.
  11. Do yourself a favour and use it as an excuse to swap the whole front end out for one from a CBR600. While you're at it throw the useless rear shock in the bin and stick in a Wilbers.
    You'll find the bike actually enjoyable to ride after those mods.
  12. There is one further trick you can do, to all that is mentioned above. Once you get the rust out, put some clear acrylic nail polish on the oitting, tiny drops are perfect. Wait for them to dry and rub with fine emry paper, lubricated with a little wd40. You can't see it, but it stops the moisture and air getting in, which slows down the rusting!