Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rusti's Ongoing Education...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Rusti_GotRage, Feb 9, 2011.

1. [Split off from the PMR thread coz it doesn't really belong in there. That thead is for the PMR, not my rubbish! :p ]

Thanks 665!

I've been told by one of my mates that I'm being too hard on myself. He said to me "You've been riding for just over two weeks now, what do you expect? To be cornering like Mick Doohan?" - which is a fair point :p

He also said that it sounded like I learned a lot from the experience, and if I can learn that much without damaging me, or the bike, then it's a cheap lesson at half the price! :D

I'm planning on taking a run up through Whittlesea to Kinglake and back to travel some GENTLE twists and turns. It's a route I know well from the car, so there won't be much in the way of surprises and I can work on my cornering technique. Look through the corner, control the throttle, RELAX.... :p

If I get REALLY adventurous, I might even re-run the route using the alternate twistier route! I suspect if I do this, it'll be a much slower ride, but you know what - that's ok! :)

Should make for an interesting ride either way.

2. Something I got told once:

If you don't crash, get lost or drop your bike, its been a good ride :D

Stay upright, keep learning.

3. When are you looking at doing Whittlesea-Kinglake?

4. Rusti, there are gentle curves out there but why not just wander back and do a few more laps of the Boulevarde. It's a lot closer to home than Whittlesea, plus at Whittlesea you will be in traffic that will be doing 100km. If you aren't, then the speed differentiation is an issue. Last thing you want is a car up your bum pushing you faster than you want to go.

If the weather next week if OK I would be happy to come and do it with you one night next week. Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Also try to get down to the Saturday Learner practice this week. Unfortunately I have a commitment and won't be there but Doug will look after you.

5. Was looking to go up there possibly on the weekend, but I've just had my plans changed. Next week I'm working the afternoons [1400-2200] so I doubt I'll be doing it after work next week. Might have to put it off till the following weekend or when I'm on days the week after.

Life has this habit of intruding on hobbies! :?

What WILL be interesting, will be making it to the morning Saturday course. I'll be there, but you may need to wake me when you get there as I'll be coming off night shift.

Might be able to go home, sleep for a few hours then come in (Home is only 15 mins from the city), or I might just go straight there and then sleep next to the bike till someone arrives to wake me! :p