Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rust starting in my fuel tank?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ageg, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Hey peeps,

Noticed some possible rust forming in my fuel tank the other day while putting some petrol in it, It looks like its just starting to form because i stuck my finger in and can wipe the stuff off a little. So im thinking its rust forming?.

My question is, is there some chemical i can put in there that will stop the rust or slow the rusting process?.

Its a 1990 Spada if it matters :).
    Photos will be up later if anyone needs them.

2. Only one thing you put in a petrol tank.
  3. I ended up with a tiny rust hole in the bottom of my tank that ended up leaking. The problem was due to not using the reserve enough and any moisture/water just accumulated at the bottom of the tank. Now I turn the tap onto reserve most of the time.
  4. If you can wipe it off with a finger, it could just be the brown residue that sometimes settles out of petrol over time (rust from old underground storage tanks?). OTOH, it's an older Honda so I wouldn't bet on it.

First step would be to chuck a cupful of metho in there to absorb any water that may be in your tank. Then make sure that water is excluded as far as possible. Check that all breathers are clear and have any hoses/valves that the manufacturer intended. Don't let the bike sit for more than a day or two at a time with a less than full tank. Avoid using E-adulterated fuel if you can possibly avoid it. Make sure the filler cap seal still seals.

If, with a water free tank, it appears to be continuing to rust, you can slosh it with something like POR15 to seal and preserve it. It's a bit of a pain but cheaper than a new tank.
    • Like Like x 1