Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rust on Petrol tank

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by oiisxc, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Hi guys,

I have bought a GPX250 last week, i am on currently on my l's first bike ive owned.
    i have noticed the petrol tank aint in best nick.
    it has a few rust spots and in 2 of them they have really small hole in them.
    petrol has started to leak out slowly.
    would this be able to be fixed or will it need replacing.

i have found a RED tank for 350 used with no damage at all. would it be worth me buying the replacement tank?

your help is appreciated
  2. If the tank's far enough gone that it's leaking, by far the best long term option is replacement with a better one. If you go down that route, take a small torch along and have a really good look around the interior of the replacement.

Tanks can sometimes be fixed with compounds that can be poured into a (empty and thoroughly cleaned) tank and sloshed around to coat the inside, but results can be a bit hit and miss. It's a fair bit of hassle and not particularly cheap.

The fact that it has rusted from the inside suggests that it has had water sitting in it long term (possibly from bad fuel, possibly from condensation, possibly through a dodgy filer cap seal). It might be worth draining the carb float bowls (simple job. One screw per carb) just to make sure they don't also have a layer of water in the bottom.
  3. I understand the gpx rusting problem is common place. So double check the new tank and even if it's fine, put a liner in before you fit it.

Alternatively you could take your tank to a repairer. They may only charge about $100 to repair the rust, then $200 to paint. makes you about $250 better off. Make sure they are not just going to put a liner in, rather they are going to cut and weld. Also get them to put a liner in once they have patched it. This may add another $100.
  4. Motorcycle tank repair kits can be bought from a mob called PPC. The kit costs $75 and has 3 parts to it. For a tank that has perforations in it, repair of those sections, prior to a tank treatment would be the way to go.

In order to minimise you chances of rust developing in a tank, keep the tank as full as you can.