Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rust on Exhaust

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by chris250, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Hi,

I have a old 1983 Suzuki GN 250 and the exhaust has a some rust spots on it and i'd like to remove them. The pipes are very rusted where they join the engine as well plus i have some on the handle bars & shocks.

Please see attached pictures

I'd really like to clean them up but not sure what's the best easy to go about it.
    Any advice would be welcome!

photo 1-1.

photo 2-1.

photo 3.

2. Some rust?

Sheesh.....time for a new exhaust and headers......that thing is held together by rust - If you clean it off there will be nothing left!
  3. I'd first have a go sanding them back working with finer and finer sandpaper. Ending up at 1200 or so would be great. Depending on how it goes, polish with some autosol.

If it's still looking rubbish when sanded back, maybe some VHT engine paint may be in order?
  4. Have a go with some self soaping steel wool and a heap of water on the Chrome. May take a bit of scrubbing, then autosol once all rust is off. For the headers maybe try a wire wheel or paint stripped wheel on a drill to strip off most of it, but I reckon shell be rough once stripped back as the headers look like they're pretty rooted. Maybe rust convert them first?
  5. +1 buy a set of new pipes mate... dont wanna sound rude but do you ride this in the Pacific ???