Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

rust on chain

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by fubarcbr, Nov 8, 2007.

1. the last couple of days have been wet and i have no choice but to ride and when i looked at my chain today it has rust all over it. it is only surface rust and only on the outer parts of the chain not inside. but i looks really crap. i am getting a new chain delivered in the next couple of weeks but how can i prevent this in the future. would giving it a spray of WD40 when i get home stop it?

2. This sounds like a job for........Scottoiler Man!

Seriously though, WD40 will help, but, frankly, it's not really sticky enough to stay put under the fairly harsh conditions a chain operates under. Better would be a can of chain lube.

Back when I had chain-drive bikes (and yes, I would return for the right machine) I used to simmer my (non O-ring) chains in Linklife (waxy grease, comes in a big pan that you heat up on the stove and put your chain in for 10 mins) every six weeks or so and kept a jar of old engine oil and a paintbrush handy to give the outside of the chain a dose every day or two. It worked as well in the soggy old UK as any other maintenance regime I ever saw.

The downside is that the chain and anything near it is permanently coated in sh*t. However, it's great security owning a vehicle that noone wants to brush up against let alone steal :grin: .
  3. Chains are meant to remain lubricated - they should never be shiny or rusty.

The perform much better, even O ring types, when they are correctly lubed, but not overoiled.

Trevor G
  4. sorry i wasn't more specific, i mean when i get home if i have been riding in the rain would giving it a spray with wd40 to disperse the water on it help and then lube it up with chain lube before i use it again.
  5. In times for more rain keep the chain well lubed, a little more than usual, and you should not see the rust spots.

If you need to then WD40 will help disperse the water, but make sure you wipe off well and re-lube immediately after using the WD40.
  6. You could use WD40 or a similar water dispersant, but this will also tend to dissolve any remaining chain lube as well.

Why not just keep the chain lubed correctly - you always spray on the inside run of the chain, don't you...?

Trevor G

PS We have started using WD40 on the side plates to lubricate the O rings, ONLY because we have been using ChainWax which seems to gum up the works. The chain has started to "kink" a little on some links as they come off the sprocket.

Fortunately a dealer has warned us about this product...
  7. Put a Scottoiler on and forget manual chain lube for life.

I do 30,000kms a year rain, hail or shine (actually having ridden in hail once I wouldnt do it again). I fitted a Scottoiler to my VFR800 with a chain (DID) and sprocket replacement at 120,000K. Now at 160,000Ks and still not had to adjust it, oil it or worry about it. And no rust!

Just need to calibrate the device to get enough oil on the chain so that it lubes but not spray paints the bike. One bottle (500ml) of the Scott oil has lasted 40,000kms so its cheaper than chain lube.

As for cost, it has paid for itself in less than one chain replacement.