Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rust and corrosion?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Grumply, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Hey Guys,

Took at look at a few more bikes today, and I found a Kawasaki Eliminator that really fits the bill price-wise. However, I noticed a fair amount of corrosion and rust over the bike (on the front forks, around metal seals on the wires, things like that).

Now the guys at the shop told me that it's all pretty superficial corrosion/rust and they were going to clean it all off. (though they also tried to tell me that a Spada they showed me only had 2,200km on it when it was pretty bloody obvious that it's more likely one full 100,000km cycle of the odo plus 2200km).

What are your thoughts on this? Is corrosion/rust a big problem here in Melbourne? And if they are able to clean most of it off because it is superficial, would that suggest it's okay?

Also, what sort of problems can corrosion lead to down the track?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

2. Removing rust is easy, but that achieves nothing if the metal is still exposed - the rust will just come back again. It's also an indication that the bike has been neglected and/or left sitting somewhere (or is a grey import).

Of course being an Eliminator it's no real surprise - I've seen brand new ones still in the showroom that are already showing signs of corrosion. The quality of the chrome plating on them is shite (I suspect some of the parts might be coming from China given how bad they are).

3. Thanks JD, so do you think it's still worth considering? Or do you I'd be better off just avoiding it?

4. Hard to tell from a vague description - and depends on how bad the rust is, how exactly they're cleaning it off, the condition of the rest of the bike, the price etc. etc.

Does sound like the shop's on the distinctly dodgy side though so that in itself might be reason to walk away. If your budget's tight you're far better off looking at private sale bikes than trying to find a bargain at a dealer.

5. Yeah, I hadn't really been considering buying from a dealer in the first place, but this was the best price (private or dealer) that I've seen one of the newer Eliminators go for.

6. Cheap bikes at dealers are always something to be wary of, I know some of the cheap ones I've looked at in the past were shocking if you looked close enough (superficially they seemed fine though).
    Who knows, with the rust present it might have been something they picked up cheap at auction because its been recovered from a flood.

7. Your looking at a bike form a dealer?

There are a lot of people on here that would help you check out private sale ones... you will save heaps of cash private sale..

Up to or over a grand!
    Dealers are good for choosing the type of bike you want and possibly test riding, then thank them and say you will think about it but go home jump on bikesales.com.au

8. you know the good ol saying, and this is true 9 times out of 10

if its to good to be true then dont buy it
    (i think thats the saying lol, correct me if im wrong)