Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

rural vs metro road safety

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by livingstonest, Nov 22, 2005.

1. just wondering here cause someone once told me that most fatalities happen in rural areas? dunno if this is true?

if it is true then does that mean that open roads with no speed cameras/police patrol equate to more people speeding resulting in fatalities?

what do you guys think about this?

2. I think the biggest cause would be lack of concentration and stupid/risky moves (overtaking on hills etc). Being more or less alone on the road tends to make people zone out and not pay a lot of attention to their surroundings.

3. What I read is that most accidents happen in city areas, but more fatalities happen in rural areas.

Some of that will be because speeds are higher so impact energy is higher, some will be because medical care is further away and some will be because people are driving in situations that are different to what they drive in normally.
  4. Yep more accidents in city areas - especially on 100kph highways yet the death rate is slightly higher in rural areas. The reasons given by ZRX are all valid, may also be the result of an increased number of high speed crashes (riders giving it a quick burst on backroads) and the fact that many accidents could go unnoticed for some time if traffic is minimal.
  5. Assuming you're talking about riding, not all road users.
    The police conducted a survey of all serious bike accidents in Victoria (the results, I think, may be on the TAC site), and found that more than 60% of accidents where the rider was killed or seriously injured occured in rural areas. Of these, the highest proportion were on roads near Melbourne on weekends (again, highest proportion in afternoon). Of this 60+%, slightly more than half appeared to be single vehicle accidents.
    So there you go. It's not surprising really when you consider that probably the majority of riders do their riding (often to the limit of their ability) at that time and in those places.
    There were a few other matters pointed out, too. A high proportion of rural accidents occured on left hand bends, for some reason. Of the 30-40% of accidents in the city, the vast majority were collisions with another vehicle, and of these a stunning 100% were caused by error by the other road user! And a very high proportion occured late at night.
    Take from that what you will.
  6. NSW stats show the same, but also that the majority of rural accidents are not city drivers, but locals driving too fast, without seat belts, drunk, etc. Familiarity does seem to breed contempt in driving.
  7. do the stats show how many rural accidents happened on private land?
  8. They are not included in road toll figures, but they are high, regrettably, due to farmers riding with no helmets, people playing moto-x on private land, etc.
  9. Pure speculation on my part, but losing it on a left hander will see you sliding towards the centerline, and oncoming traffic. On a right hander you will slide toward the edge of the road.
  10. Those wouldn't be included in the normal road accident stats since the TAC don't pay out on those. If they occurred on a farm then they become a workcover issue.
  11. It stands to reason that there are more fatalities in rural areas not because people are speeding, but because the speed limits are higher anyway. Country riders go for a ride and straight away hit an open rad at 100km. I've suffered badly having moved to Melb because most of the riding in in an urban area. Urban areas have more collissions because there's more traffic, but the stacks are less often at a speed that will likely be fatal.

The stats on crashes or injuries per rider per km2 in the area where the stacks occur would be more beneficial in weighing up the likelyhood of scratching the bike on a given day. :)
  12. I don't think accidents in rural areas can't be pinned down to one factor - poor intersection design and lack of lighting, poor signage, poor road maintenance, wildlife, alcohol, fatigue - it's a mixed bag.

IMO most accidents aren't generally caused by speed (ie flying along out of control) but the resultant impact at higher speeds means that fatalaties generally ensue. I'm sure the government is considering making all country roads 40kph zones. :roll:
  13. Should also consider the fact that the quality of the road surface in rural areas is far worse and more unpredictable than in urban areas.
  14. I agree Dan. I wasn''t suggesting that speed was the cause of the accident, rather a factor in the likelyhood of a fatality when the accident occurs. At 100km a pair of draggins and cordura jacket won't protect you from a Red Gum. When attacked by suicidal roos & wombats, black ice in the high country or negotiating mud left by a tractor in the dark, speed doesn't cause the stack but it may factor into the outcome for the rider. I don't feel the limits are too high (quite the opposite) but it does explain the difference in fatalies Vs injuries in urban and rural areas.

Edit: "Suicidal Roo" is just poetic licence. The only time I've collided with one, it bent the old KE and the roo hopped away happy as larry. Thankfully I ditched the bike and hit only dirt.
  15. not to mention thr random skippy factor
  16. Given the Victorian Government's passion for ensuring that motorcyclists are kept safe, it is interesting to see the picture on page 10 of this State Government policy document.

http://www.acfe.vic.gov.au/docs/60501 Future Directions.pdf

The text highlights the importance of skills training for farms - perhaps motorcycle safety comes later in the syllabus.
  17. :evil: here's the guts of it, try leaving the Capital city you are in and ride about 300k's from it on a highway, the condition of the roads are to say the least appalling, differing road surfaces, cambers in the corners are backward, roo's, drowsy drivers, both car and truck drifting into your lane or side of the road, and zoning out, Federal funding only extends so far and the furthest thing on their fu**ing pea brains are the maintenance of country roads, after all there are more people in the city than the country or rural areas of OZ and they want to keep those votes flowing, make a new overpass or underpass keep the city folk happy and you'll keep them onside come voting time, how many of you are guilty of saying "jeez lucky me they just widened that part of the freeway and it's so smooth", we in the country are being killed by deteriorating road surfaces more than anything else, read the stats at the TAC website for single vehicle accidents, when and if you ride the highways, not the freeways near home, you get a whole new perspective on it. So yeah more of us die here than in the metro areas.
  18. yeah i see LES2010's point there.

road surface conditions, lighting, animals, droned out drivers all make for high risk riding compared to metro where road surface condtions are better and its more difficult to get up to high speeds

perhaps the problem is a discrepancy between limited resources and the vast land that we have in australia?
  19. We were promised an upgrade to the Calder Highway years ago by the State Govt., we have been informed that the upgrade only applies to area between Melb. and Ballarat.