Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Runs rough after emergency braking

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by akaluke, Oct 11, 2009.

1. My bike (a brand new 2009 Yamaha XVS650 Classic cruiser) will probably be going into the workshop next week.

The strangest thing (well, strange for me anyway).

Being a learner, I've been practising emergency breaking.

It seems that after an emergency stop, something goes wrong with the bike and it splutters and coughs as I roll on the throttle after changing up from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. It threatens to stall. Giving it a lot more throttle (cough, cough, splutter, splutter, recover), or pulling in the clutch nearly always rescues it from the stall.

This behaviour happens every single time I come to an abrupt stop then take off again.

2. I'll be interested to hear what Yamaha has to say about it.

Probably "Well, umm, don't stop so hard". lol

My money is still on a fuel problem.
  3. As soon as I did the first emergency stop at Stay Upright today, it started again.

Yamaha will probably say something like "yeah, they do that". Argh.
  4. Noooo, they shouldnt do that. If they do, it should be reason enough for a recall.

situation: car pulls out, e-brake.
    car behind cant stop in time.

get them on the case.
  5. Money is on overfuelling given you're dropping a few thousand revs in the matter of a second; had occasions where a few of bikes I have been riding have cut out after an extended full throttle operation followed by idling at the top of a hill. Given it's new, take it back.
  6. Reads like the float levels are wrong or the needles are getting a bit messed up. Either way if it's a newish bike it shouldn't be doing it.
  7. how do you exactly do your e-brake?
  8. Umm....
    - Steady speed and thottle.

in rapid sequence:

- Off throttle, steady squeeze on front brake (and clutch in at the same time probably), apply back brake, start gearing down.
    - Come to a complete stop.
    - Feet down.
    - Make sure I'm in first.
    - Release front brake, apply some throttle, release clutch, take off.
    - Accelerate, roll off throttle, clutch in, change to 2nd, clutch out and roll on throttle...cough, cough, splutter, splutter.

Just spoke to Yamaha: "never heard of that, might just be something to do with that model. Not sure if we'll be able to fix it". Arg.
  9. They're a carby bike aren't they? My 9R is a carby bike and a series of ebrakes in a row sees it running a bit rough - could it be an overfull bowl or somethin??
  10. How much petrol in the bike? I had a Suzuki gsx250 that would do that towards the end of a tank.
  11. more than 2/3 full.
  12. Yep, carby bike.

The only bowls I know about are the ones that contain porridge.

I'm unmechanical.

I'm wondering if I should even bother to take it in and be without my bike for who knows how long.

I just know they aren't going to fix it.
  13. Heres an idear as you are coming to a stop just keep the throttle on,Rolling burn out come to a stop continue burn out release front brake slowly and of you go
  14. I'll practice :)

15. They've said this?

A bike that stalls after braking is not normal and more importantly, dangerous. If it does it every time, or even most times, then get up them. It's not normal.
  16. Float levels adjusted, carbies retuned, spark plugs changed, told to stop using premium.

Good service.
    Thanks City Yamaha (Melb).

Haven't done an emergency stop yet though.
  17. Guess I know what you'll be doing on Sat morn then.....

Glad they found something to adjust.

We'll see.........