Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Runout sales - dealer negotiations

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by Masakali, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Now that eofy is upon us, it's time for me to do some shopping for a new bike.

Given that the runout on 2012 models are so heavily discounted from the manufacturer, how much more negotiation can I expect from the dealers?

Example is a cbr600 13.3k or a daytona sulphur 14.5k quoted at the dealer with no haggling.
    Can I expect much more? They don't seem all that willing as they know how much cheaper it is already and the 2013's are months away...
  2. between 500-1000 would be a good starting point. Head towards the end of the month rather then the beginning.
  3. Be willing to walk away.
    Be willing to walk in with cash - if you can present an envelope of cold hard you have much more bargaining power.

If the price is not right then you are better off with a new bike on a late plate.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. You should have started already and walked away....

Get on it asap but I think all in all it has been a slow year so leave it well towards the EOM.
  5. Don't worry about asking 'how much can I expect' on a forum.

Know how much you can afford and how much you are prepared to pay.
    Then go in and lowball every dealer in town until you get the deal you want. Otherwise walk away.
  6. I can't help in the haggling department, that's very much up to the individual, but, in case you didn't know, a 2012 Daytona can have its fueling and timing and other stuff modified by TuneECU (free software) while the 2013 model have extra security to stop this working.

Whether the new security will be hacked or when that might happen, I dunno.

If I was in the market for a Daytona, I'd prefer the 2012 model.
  7. Ok I'll give you a few facts.

1. Dealers don't own the new bikes on the floor. Insurance and finance companies do. The longer that bike is on the floor the more it's BOTTOM line is. That's how it works. The dealer has to pay interest on the bike till it's sold.

2. Cash isn't king on new bikes. If you finance and insure the bike through the shop, your ride away price is always going to be lower than cash.

3. How much you spend on accessories doesn't lower the price of the bike. But how much you pay on the bike does on accessories.

4. Don't finance helmets, jackets or boots. Or anything that wont last as long as your repayments.

Nothing amazingly new has come out on brand new bikes. And the 2nd hand market is almost in a coma. A great time to buy some tossers year old Bewah RR, ZX that scares the crap out of him.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3