Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Running wide twice on the Q-ride day

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by BlueMonkey, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Hey everyone,

I've just done my Q-ride and got my certificate of competency last Saturday. Can't wait to get to the dept of transport today to get my RE licence. \\:D/

On Saturday, we (the instructor and 3 of us doing Q-ride) finished the day at about 2pm and decided to continue with a social ride since we've got couple of hours to spare. So, we decided to head up to Springbrook, Gold Coast.

We were enjoying the sunny day and making our way up the mountains. Being a total noob myself it was a fun but also challenging experience (the other 2 guys have been riding for a while and just decided to get their licence). There were a few slow corners just at the side of the cliff. Naturally I was paying a little attention to the maybe 100 feet drop beside me while I was doing a slow left. So, no surprise that I ran wide passed the double line almost to the centre of the oncoming lane. :eek:hno:

Luckily for both occasion there was no oncoming traffic. The anxiety level inside me just kept building and then I had a cramp in my left arm (maybe partly due to the cold wind). My instructor noticed the incidences and decided to pull over and we had a rest. The rest of the ride was great without any more close call.

Although I'm getting my licence today but I do know I still need a lot more practice and experience. Also, I want to take the opportunity here to give a big round of applause to the guys at TopRider, Nerang for all their patience and coaching. I will definitely get back to you guys for more courses and recommend to my mates in the future. (y)

Have a nice day and ride safe.

2. So, have you worked out what you need to do differently to stop it happening again?

No need to get anxious, it's all learning - but only if you find the answers.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I find if I'm not in the groove, that it's safer to slow down, stop or just go home.

Target fixation will get you every time.

5. keep your head looking through the corner, avoid taking in too much of scenery as a new rider or you will end up riding into it and getting a much closer look then you were hoping for.

As your riding develops you will become able to disconnect your eyes from your direction of travel, and having a look round at the passing country side wont be as dangerous.

• Like Like x 1
  6. a big +1 to this.

7. ... I did this a couple of times on my 250 when I was on my L's. I KNEW I needed to get back on my side, but it was like I was immobalised. I remember thinking " f*ck!... This is bad"... And I was fecking lucky there was
    no oncoming traffic... Or I would have copped it.

Raven gave me some good advice on here... Loosen your grip.. and you will be able to do what is necessary.

This proved to help me no end in my situation... And it has not happened since. I actually thought at the time that it was target fixation, but I'm not so sure it was.

Plus.. Look to where you want to go. I still regularly tell myself these 2 things.

• Like Like x 2
  8. As a newbie, it is perfectly understandable why you did this. Try to relax your elbows, wrists and grip on the bike; this is likely why you had the cramp, the cold just contributed. As Unconnected said, look through the corner. Hold on with your knees and try to transfer weight to your feet rather than your butt.

Your survival reactions will end up putting you in trouble if you don't learn to overcome them, i.e. don't freeze up on the bike and don't go off the throttle.

Keep your throttle control on (just enough to keep the weight transferred a little more on the rear tire) through corners.

Practice makes perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  9. #9 ShinobiWan, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Yep, I have had a similar experience when still brand new to riding (heck, with only 2,300 Kms under my belt I am still very new) and I did wonder if it was target fixation, but I think tensing up (it was wet) was as much a factor. Scared the cr*p outofmyself when I ran wide.

The advice here has been on the money thoughI think... Relax, look where you want to go, and look where you want to go (not at the scary thing whatever that may be). :)

------------------------------------
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650L.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wow... Thanks a lot guys for providing so many useful tips. Can't wait to get out there again to practice them.

11. Ok, you noted there was a big drop off the edge of the road. So what!, why should that fact have anything to do with your riding. It's irrelevant.

You ran wide because you failed to turn, due to a typical SR.

Why did you fail to turn?

You failed to turn because you were too tense in your arms....in fact, your outside arm being rigid, prevented you from pushing on the inside bar. So you began to run wide and it was then that your second SR kicked in. (the drop off).

You need to keep away from the twisty roads until you have perfected your counter-steering!

Then you should be ok.

12. That's a pretty tough bit of road to take a newbie on. :-s