Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

running out of fuel; doesnt it just piss you off

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by pragnasty, May 18, 2005.

1. run out of fuel today at coomera. ( 203kms)
    made sure i had refueled to the limit last time.

my question............
    i get roughly 17kms per litre, no matter what type of riding im doing. therefore 16ltr tank,=roughly (calculater please) 260kms +
    how can i lose 60kms of fuel? (6ltrs)
    is there an evil fuel fairy or what?

when i refueled i put in 13 litres which brought it up to the level ( i have a 16ltr tank)
    this is after running out of fuel

my question how can i have a 3ltr air lock?

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :shock:

why does my fuel gauge always show half full when im almost empty??
    is this a new honda feature?

and why dont i have a reserve tap? this is my only thought.... either i am blind or its just not there????

why why WHY?????

i dunno whether or not any other hornet riders (roughcactus?yellow hornet?) have had the same problem or can enlighten me

i quick huuuuuuuuuuuge thankyou
    to the two other riders who stopped to see if i was alright.
    goood to see such support.
    nice mono too dude (if youre reading) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

and no i didnt forget to wind back (or bump) the clocks :!:
  2. It's a Honda. The designers figure it will probably be stuffed by the time you get to the end of a tank of fuel.
  3. Hornet Fuel

I have a 600 Hornet, same sized fuel tank, and I get around 212 - 225 ks to a tank before if goes on reserve irrespective of how I ride it. The Hornet DOES have a fuel tap and a reserve function, but the tap is so small you need a magnifying glass to find it, and it's nearly impossible to operate with gloves on. It's right towards the front of the tank.
    Normal position is pointing to the REAR of the bike, reserve is pointing to the FRONT. I've always stopped as soon as possible after going on reserve to fill up, so I don't know how much more mileage you'd get, but I go onto reseve usually around 11.5 litres used.
  4. Yeah, the Hornet 250 does have a fuel tap, it's a bit small to operate while riding so I've always had to pull over to switch it to reserve. Only ever had to do it twice (both while in peak hour traffic). Now I just make sure I fill up before or around the 170km mark... that way I never have to use the switch... I have a service manual for a Hornet 600 (can't get a manual for a 250 in English) but the guys at Sumoto said it's close enough for general maintenance work... PM me your postal address and I'll pop a CD in the mail for you (the manual is 180 meg PDF file).
  5. :D :D :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Sad but true!!!!
  6. Hornet Service Manual

He yellowhornet, thanks for the offer, but a couple of weeks ago I did download that 180mb file!! I work for an electronics company and have access to a duplex colour laser, so......
    when we are able to post pics on this forum, I'll put up a couple of the mighty blue Hornet
  7. Yep, sounds like Sumoto all right.
  8. Hey watch it buddy! You'll be surrounded by Hondas in a bit over a week! :p
  9. Only if they start the 20 km journey today.
  10. and let'em try thier hardest... :twisted:
  11. I am sooo gunna tell on you!!! Nya Nya! :p
  12. I'm sure CodeBlueChick will agree with you there. At least it didn't happen for you twice in less than a week :) :) :p
  13. Didn't have a strong head wind at all did you?