Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

'Running in' after a top end rebuild?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Bravus, Nov 6, 2007.

1. G'day all

My baby should be back in a couple of days after a top end rebuild (bores honed, new rings and valve seals) that has taken *way* too long (not their fault, parts had to come from Japan). I'll definitely ask the mechanic when I pick it up, but wanted to check... will it need to be 'run in' (keep revs well below the redline, don't sit on constant revs for long, etc) after a top end rebuild? After all, some of the parts that slide past each other are new, so presumably there's some need for them to get to know each other? ;)

2. Hi mate, yeh will have to keep the revs low for a while about a 1000ks is the standard you have to let everything match up nicely then you can give it the willy's.

Cheers (Motorcycle Mech)
  3. And don't forget to change the oil after that 1000kms ;).
  4. Beat me to it, jd!!

That oil will contain metal swarf from the 'bedding in' metal parts, and you need to get rid of it then. Some shops even run a cleaner through the engine after draining the oil to remove all traces before filling up with clean oil.
  5. Yep, the other option is just to change the oil again at say 2000 just in case there were any bits of swarf left over. Also should add that you should use mineral oil till the engine's run-in, then you can go switching to synthetic or semi-synth (some modern oils are too effective which is no good when you actually want parts to wear).
  6. Sounds great, thanks for that. Will be patient and put off exploring the extra power that actually having some compression yields until after the first 1000 km and an oil change.
  7. Also if you need any expert advice in Brisbane drop in and see Ivan at Tyres For Bikes at Albion, he will give you a hand and point you in the right direction.

8. Great advice from all here :)
    Something else you may do: ( accepted as per normal for a car engine, I assume the same on bikes so please check with your bike mechanic first !

Load the engine every now and again ( ie full throttle in top gear from low to midrange revs ) Helps the rings bite into the bore and prevents the 'lazy ring' effect that may glaze bores.
  9. my advice, is to ride it conservatively, but as normally as you would have prior. there are far more important things to be occupying your melon when you are on the road.
    just dont fang it too hard, and do the oil changes :!:
  10. If you are really serious about giving it the best possible treatment for:

1) a long life

2) maximum horsepower

then you need to read this article and follow the tips/secrets/conclusions in here.

I haven't had the chance to try it just yet, but will one day. I'm convivnced - this guy has photo and dyno evidence as well as anecdotal.

Trevor G