Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Running in a new bike 2015

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by pincho, Mar 27, 2015.

?
  1. Manufacturers all the way

305 vote(s)
    56.0%
  2. A bit of both watching oil temp and change oil early

115 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Rev it hard, smoothly bed brakes, lots of gear changes always changing revs

83 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Ride it like you stole it, take it to shop for scheduled service

43 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. Yes there are existing threads sorry if this question annoys anyone.
    2015 anything changed or still a mixed bag of voters for
    manufacturers recommendations
    http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
    Or ride like you stole whilst abiding by the law of course

2. Manufacturer thinks that you are more likely to crash your new bike if you ride it fast, so tell you to ride it slow.

If you crash it you will try to sue them which is a pain to defend.

It's the same as the new tyres bull shit

3. Yeah, fair call. There are a lot of people who think that way, I might be one

4. I follow the manufacturers recommendations. Main reason being that I believe that the manufacture is has incentive's to follow best practice because they have a warranty to honor. They are also have years of R&D, Data on Warranty returns and knowledge of their own manufacturing process that the average rider does not have.

I was told that Honda take engine oil samples and samples from the oil filter after a (Major) warranty claim. They use this for analysis and to make sure you have used the correct oil. This means that Honda have this data, this is how they discover defects and issue recalls. This is why I follow their recommendations in this regard.

Counter this with the plethora of people who advocate for the "Ride it hard, break in fast" method. I have read and listened to many of these people, their "Data" comes from mostly anecdotal evidence. Phrases like "I think that", "A guy I know", "The Mechanic who runs the local Dyno says", etc. This is not evidence, point me to a controlled study and I will listen. There are lots of things to take into account when speaking about engine run in.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The running in process is the start of the wearing out process Is the old saying. Give it some hard throttle in higher gear at lower rpm to bed the rings in then away you go. I believe servicing is more important than the running in.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The only thing a manufacturer can tell from an oil sample is how the engine oil is working. If it is degrading, if it has wear particles in it from bearings etc.

They cannot tell if the bike was ridden to manufacturer specs for run in period. Run in period is to get YOU used to the bike.

Engines are bench tested before fitting to bikes. I've only ever had one bike use oil and it was the one I ran in to recommended practice.

• Like Like x 1
  7. It seems to me what you described is called "lugging the engine" and that is not good at any stage of the engines life.

I've watched a number of doco's about bike production facilities and all the mass produced bikes are are assembled, crated and shipped with out ever being run. batch samples of power plants and completed bikes are taken off the line for testing and that is all.

The various parts in the engine wear and polish themselves to the correct operating clearances during the run in process.

I've done a number of first service and found all kinds of shit in the oil, if every engine was bench tested, the fluids drained installed in the bike and shipped to dealers why would this stuff still be in the engines and sumps?

The truth lies in the manufacture run-in instructions, on high-end bikes the procedure is as simple as avoid prolonged operation at high revs, on cheaper entry level bikes the process is a little more involved.

If the engine run in procedure were truly a legal speil to try and mitigate risk of litigation it would just be a generic paragraph and not differ from bike to bike.

In fact the the manufacturers are worried about you crashing and hence the disclaimer found in virtually every manual I have ever seen.

"Motorcycles are single-track vehicles. Their safe use and operation are de- pendent upon the use of proper riding techniques as well as the expertise of the operator." - Followed by a lot of other instruction for safe riding and urging the owner to seek licensing and expert instruction.

I have owned a number of new motorcycles and run them all in as described in the manual some were very involved, some were just a matter of "yeah try not to redline it, for a little while", these run in procedures even varied from the same manufacturer

It certainly didn't do any harm to the bike, and was of little impost to me.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Not "lugging" more heavy loading just to bed the rings in. When doing this the rings are forced out onto to bore to assist with bedding in quicker and better.
    It's just my 2 cents. It's worked for all the engines I have rebuilt.
    Paul

9. Good advice thanks bro

10. You just did the exact same thing, quote the peer reviewed study from Honda or it's just anecdotal.

I've rebuilt 2 stroke, 4 stroke, singles, V-twins, triples and in-line fours that have been hard run in and also some run in to manufacturers specs.

Hard run in does no more damage and does bed the piston rings tighter than a soft run in. The key to either method is to vary the revs/load on the engine.

Not arguing with you, just stating my limited experience - which, as we all know, does not equate to a data set. .

• Like Like x 2
  11. BMW are awake to the trash it method. Some models are rev limited at the specified max rpm for running in until you return for the first service.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. No worries, I was being anecdotal in that sentence :) What I mean that in the choice between one and the other my money is on the Manufacturer as they have more to loose by giving bad advice. I know that the advocates of hard run in do claim better bedding in and greater horsepower. But if I have the choice between "reliability" and "horse power" I choose the safer reliability option.

This argument made me think of overclocking a PC. I run overclocks on my GPU and CPU routinely even though it is not recommended by the manufacturer. I am not entirely sure why I disregard one manufacturers recommendations and agree with the other.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yes, that's because 1 in 3 bmws destroys itself. They currently have worse failure rates than Harley Davidson.

14. That's why there are so many BMW bikes out there with hundreds of thousands of km on original motors.

Haters will hate.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. LOL 1 in 3 you say I dare you to back that up with any published stat. Not exactly a bad company and their products whilst running are world leading trend setters

• Agree Agree x 1
  16.  Top
  17. World leading trend setters....lol...NAK is that you? Their products whilst running are almost as boring and stagnant as hondas

18. Lol well done sir. Stoked I went with a Yamaha instead of a Beemer.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'd like to see of the people sampled, how many were rating each manufacturer. They don't offer that data.
    It clearly says 3% overall reported drive line problems, yet you assert 33.3% of all BMW's self destruct. They also say most of the reported repairs cost <$200 to repair. Hardly in line with your assertion.

BMW is at the cutting edge of technology on their flagship machines, and of course the more you put into or onto a bike, the greater chance of failure compared to a bike that has nothing more than a drivetrain, lights and a seat. Just look at the spec sheets for the R1200RT, K1600GT, R1200GS. Not counting my K1600GT as its brand new, I have had almost 300,000km of trouble free riding on 3 other BMW's. I have also had almost 150,000 trouble free km on 2 Blackbirds.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Problem is a <$200 part can render your bike a boat anchor. Therefore if you are out and about it is almost like a self destruct.
    BMW isn't at the cutting edge of technology on their flagship machines. They employ people like Bosch to put their products on their bikes to make them at the cutting edge, stop acting like it is BMW that is doing all the design and research. Therefore it is Bosch who are the cutting edge of the tech. If say the new Yamaha R1 technology wise shits all over the HP4