Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Running an old 2stroke on pre-mix.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by 2up, Jul 2, 2009.

1. I've got an old 70's 2stroke trail bike. I've got the motor up and running but it's running way too rich. I think the oil pump is stuffed. Is running it off pre-mix fuel as simple as just disconnecting the oil pipe to the carby??
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. That will work just fine, as long as you block it at the carby end too.
    I have had many 2t's converted like this, in order to remove the oil tank and save weight.
  3. Thanks Joel.
  4. 2 Stroke

Be careful if it's a Suzuki as they used to pressure feed the crank bearings from the oil pump. If so, disconnect the cable & fix the lever to 1/4 of the travel & keep topping up the oil tank. Mix oil into the fuel as well.
  5. Good article on two stroke oil pumps here

As sidecar55 said, be careful and do a little research before you disconnect.

Most two strokes are pretty tolerant of the mix but err on the over oiling side and carry sufficent spare plugs - over oiling will only foul your plugs. You really don't want to suffer the consequences of under oiling!