Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rules regarding 'named' roads

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by deeflet, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Greetings!

As this is my first post on the forum I hope I've chosen the right place to start the thread. I had a bit of a look around but couldn't find an answer to my query. If this has already been covered somewhere, perhaps someone could let me know.

My question relates to a rider's rights in relation to what are named through roads on a map but are actually gated on the ground.

I generally ride in and around an area between Mt Barker, Birdwood, Mannum and Strathalbyn in South Australia. Often I'll see a track whilst out on a ride or driving through an area and do a bit of investigating using Google Maps and find that it is a 'named' road. So ..... next available ride day I'll fire up the DR650 and head off for some investigation. More often than not, the more interesting roads will at some point have a gate across the track. Whilst the gate is often not locked I'm wondering if anyone can advise on my rights in going through the gate (and closing it again of course) and carrying on?

I don't want to tear off into the scrub or otherwise be a hoon. I'm really just interested in finding new and interesting places to ride and be able to 'connect' a series of interesting tracks together for an afternoon's riding.

What I don't want is an angry land-owner trampling on my rights to use a public road!

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers - David

• Agree Agree x 1