Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Rules/Laws regarding running lights

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by BlueWolf, May 11, 2016.

1. Hi,

I've been slowly fixing up my GB400.

I've been through the wiring harness and sorted out the gremlins ....Finally!

During that process I found that in the harness is an option for running lights. I figure being more visible is always a good thing so I've hooked them up and they work great.

Now I am curious as to the rules/laws around this in NSW. I can't find anything about it so I figure I'll roll with it until a friendly police officer tells me otherwise.

Anyone have some experience on this one?

Cheers

2. I think white forward, red rearward, yellow elsewhere and not enough to dazzle other motorists and you should be OK.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Been using DRL hand guards for ~1 year without issue however they aren't blinding or bright enough to be considered fog/auxiliary driving lights
    I'm sure you will find some hidden ADR that says they should dim when driving lights are on or with indicators however given they aren't blinding and white I couldn't see anyone pulling you up.

4. Thanks for the replies.

Yes, thanks, they actually go to the indicators and switch out when the indicator is operating.

I ran a voltage reducer inline to make sure they aren't as bright as when the indicators are operating, also to make sure they don't run too hot since as far as I am aware, they aren't the original indicators and I don't want to give them or their bulbs too much of a hard time.

Also given that the electrical system is nothing flash on this bike (hence within my ability to fix) they do dip ever so slightly when the headlight is on

5. Morning visibility is not a good thing. See the fluro threads.

6. Vertical CVertical C Was there a thread you were referring to in particular?