Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rule No. 1: DON'T DROP YOUR BIKE

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by modern_ninja, May 11, 2011.

1. Following all the "i dropped my brand new bike" threads, I wanna see if I can give some suggestions about it and also see what the broader NR community says about it.

This is only for the avoidable situations, accidents will happen and your bike will often end up on the ground in an accident. Just make sure its the other person's fault and claim it on insurance :D

So first off, don't drop your bike. I know its not intentional, but its the quickest way to tank the resale value of your bike. Dropping a bike can cost big money especially if it is faired. Any number of things can go wrong with a bike when you drop it. I won't mention them, but they do cost money.

A couple of tips:

1) When stepping off the bike, have an order of doing things that always includes putting the stand down and being careful.

2) Watch out for slippery surfaces. Obvious I know. But if you pay attention, it'll save you a couple of hundred bucks.

3) When parked on a sloped surface, put whatever foot down that is on the higher side. If that happens to be right side, put the right foot down.

4) When I step off my bike, I have a foot on the right peg to slightly counterweight the bike so it gently leans on the stand. This is helpful if the stand isn't down properly, the ground is a bit soggy or the stand is going down in a ditch. It'll help you balance the bike all the way until it is stable on the stand.

5) Always remember rule number 1. Don't drop your bike.

If you haven't drop a dirt bike whilst off-road, you aren't learning.
    If you have dropped a bike on the road, you probably did something wrong or are doing something wrong.

If anyone has some other good ideas, i'd like to hear them. I don't know all and i'm keen to hear if there are any other good tips people have for keeping their bike on two wheels :D

2. So, how much damage have you just done?

3. :rofl: none... After a year of commuting everyday and rides of a weekend, i've managed to avoid dropping my bike thus far. It will probably happen, I wanna know what good tips people have so that one day, I might prelong the event even more by just knowing that little bit more... Also, to help those poor noobies that seem to be dropping these lovely faired numbers every other day.

4. Alot of drops, happen getting off the bike, so yes, develope a routine, which includes making sure the bike is stable and the side stand is supporting it correctly, before you get off.

You are at higher risk if you hurry the process.

Ie. Mate crashes. You stop quickly, and are in a hurry to make sure he's ok...PLOP!

5. Here's what I'm dealing with:
    My bike is lowered 3 inches (i.e. not a lot of lean!)
    She weighs 350 kgs (i.e. when she starts to go down, she's going down!!).
    She's also 1800CC V-Twin with "the largest reciprocating engine pistons being used in any production passenger car or motorcycle on Earth - Suzuki" (i.e. She'll shake herself off the stand if you're not paying attention)

So here are my rules:
    1) ALWAYS shut off the bike by putting down the sidestand WHILE in FIRST gear! The Kills Switch is for when you're bike's already fallen and is spewing petrol all over your bleeding body!

2) BOTH feet on the ground, clutch in, before putting down the sidestand

3) With sidestand down, and first gear engaged, and engine cut off, stand up, lean on the handlebars and push the bike forward until the gear locks in and the bike won't move anymore.

With the above, I know the bike won't move forward off the sidestand.

4) Do WHATEVERY IT TAKES to make sure the bike has sufficient lean angle on the stand. If that means parking away from your mates, on the other side of the road, then do it!

5) Always take the key out. Make it a habit, so it becomes second nature: Key out -> step off the bike -> key in left pant pocket. That way:
    a)some douche can't just jump on your bike and ride off,
    b) you don't have to deal with a flat battery after having left the light on all night, and
    c) you don't stuff up the electronics if things start getting wet & sparky when you're not around

6) NEVER start the bike in neutral unless the back wheel is against the curb or a bump or whatever, and the front wheel is higher than the back (i.e. Don't want it to move anywhere!)

7) Noone, ever, EVER gets to sit, touch or lean on my bike unless I'm close enough to kick their a$$ if they fark up!

6. Even when you've got off the bike and you think it's safe, don't believe it. We were having a break on a ride, I park the B12 put the side stand down get off the bike, no problems. My wife parks beside me, puts her foot down, and decides that the ground is solid enough, puts the stand down gets off the bike, and starts to walk away but looks back to see her beloved M750 slowly falling over as the side stand sinks into the ground...we caught it and no damage done, but lesson learnt.

If I'm parking on ground that looks anything other than perfectly solid I put it on the centre stand. For those without centre stands, a flattened can under the side stand will help stop it from sinking.

7. I was going to mention this one.

During Australian summers the asphalt on footpaths (and some roads) can soften in the extreme heat and allow a kickstand to sink in until the bike tips over onto its side.

I strongly recommend placing something under the kickstand or making sure the kickstand is down on wood or concrete on hot sunny days.

Similar for parking on grass or soft soil/dirt. :)

8. I have the lid of a jam jar in my bag. With a lid or a flattened can you need to get off the bike. But I've ridden with guys who have a bit of hard rubber on a string in their pocket and they just pull it out and lower it and place it under the sidestand on soft ground. They looked really cool and I was floundering around trying to balance things.

9. I was paddling my bike down the narrow garden path yesterday when I caught my foot in the rosemary bush and ended up in it with the bike on top of me. Fortunately no-one saw. Me and the bike also smelled nice for about half an hour although I did want to eat lamb for lunch.

10. Drop your bike,

It takes away the fear of dying when you do,

You pick it up and your self, You might have a bruise or two, your bike might be a write off, if its fully faired,

But it takes away all the misgivings and misnomers about falling off,

Watch your bike all the time when its parked, you can see if its starting to fall off the side stand and you can save it before it hits the deck,

11. :rofl: That's awesome

12. The list of rules I try to adhere to are:
    1. Don't kill yourself
    2. Don't kill yourself
    3. Don't kill yourself
    4. Don't crash
    5. Don't drop you're bike

13. Most common way I've seen new riders (and some not new riders) drop their road bike is front brake on dirt or gravel.

If its a driveway of side of the road, finish you braking before you hit it. Use rear brake as necessary, avoid front.

14. Sounds simple but I when I put down the sidestand, I always kick it forward with my boot from behind, until I *know* it cant extend any further.

Those sidestands are on spring mounted returns, so if you dont push it down far enough, whoops, there aint to stand when you lean your bike over.

15. I always give the bike a nice big tug once im off and its on the stand to make sure its stable. But My bike only weighs 160kg

16. Sometimes, i just sit on my bike all day just to make sure that it doesn't fall over and that it's not lonely

17. :) me too. i do that some nights, too.

18. i'm doing it right now

will update every hour on how the bike is feeling... right now, it's feeling warm in the crotch region, atleast for me

19. If you only have a side stand, be careful when oiling the chain. You can easily part-fold the side stand as you pick the bike up and move it forward, and then have it collapse as you go to rest it, and you will be in a position where you don't have any purchase or leverage to hold it up. I ran foul of this one myself a couple of weeks ago and I'm still spewing. It's such a gumby, n00b, "Never thought of that." kind of thing, and with 40 years experience under your belt, it can still catch you out.

20. i have a sloped driveway (well the whole back yard is sloped) and as a result of this my driveway has this black look about it (it a moss of some sort). in the dry its not to bad, but in the wet its a slippery dip.

no matter how many times i tell people about it they still forget, it makes me feel better about dropping my bike on it a week after i got it.